public inbox for java@gcc.gnu.org
From: John Poole <jlpoole@pon.net>
To: java@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: GCCMain not found & test suite errors fatal?
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 14:36:00 -0000	[thread overview]

I need help with two issues.

Background:
I'm trying to install a Java development and runtime environment on the
Marvell SheevaPlug which runs off an ARMv5t processor.

I currently have Gentoo installed on my SheevaPlug.  Gentoo does not
support Java for the ARMv5t platform.  I do know that Java works on the
SheevaPlug as other people using an identical SheevaPlug have Ubuntu or
other flavors of Linux installed and they are able to install a Java
runtime and java based programs.  Moreover, Sun offers a run time
environment, but Sun charges for it.  I would like to be able to set up
a run time environment within Gentoo on the SheevaPlug without having to
pay for a license or buy a black box technology.

I therefore undertook to compile icedtea6-1.6 and ran into a circular
dependency of ANT.  ANT needs Java to install.  I logged Bug 387 with
Iced Tea and I was advised to "use gcj to build openjdk build
dependencies and bootstrap openjdk using gcj."  That endeavor brings me
to this list.

I was able to successfully make Revision: 155206 of
svn://gcc.gnu.org/svn/gcc/trunk.

I was unable to compile a test class, and logged Bug 42405; my problem
had been failing to specify a library path; the comment "Make sure your
install library path is in LD_LIBRARY_PATH." worked insofar as it got me
past the error message
"/usr/local/gcj/usr/local/bin/../libexec/gcc/armv5tel-unknown-linux-gnueabi/4.5.0/ecj1:
error while loading shared libraries: libgcj_bc.so.1: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory ."  By using these two commands,
I was able to move past the problem:
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/gcj/usr/local/lib
    ./gcj -v -I /usr/local/gcj/usr/local/share/java/libgcj-4.5.0.jar
/var/work/gcj/HelloWorld.java

Issue #1:
I then came across a new error,
"org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.batch.GCCMain" class not found, and
opened Bug 42409 to track it.

It would be really helpful if in the GCJ documentation you had a simple
test scenario which compiles (and runs?) a HelloWorld.java function.
What often trips me up in Java is not having a class in the right path.
In this case, the solution in Bug 42405 got me past that hurdle, but now
with the problem in Bug 42409, I've most likely encountered another path
type problem.  If I had a test scenario that identified all the path
dependencies I could know that I have succeeded in getting something
working.

Issue #2:
As an aside, I ran the test suite and had six errors.  Unfortunately, I
do not know if these errors are show-stoppers or not and would
appreciate anyone's opinion about whether they will block me from
running a gcj compiler.  They details of the test suite are set forth in
Bug 42409.

FAIL: calls execution - gij test
FAIL: findclass2 run
FAIL: Throw_2 execution - source compiled test
FAIL: Throw_2 -findirect-dispatch execution - source compiled test
FAIL: Throw_2 -O3 execution - source compiled test
FAIL: Throw_2 -O3 -findirect-dispatch execution - source compiled test
                 === libjava Summary ===

# of expected passes            2561
# of unexpected failures        6
# of untested testcases         6

Given then above test results coupled with the warning in the
documentation that some errors would occur, I'm thinking I've been very
successful.  Unfortunately, I do not seem to be able to use what I have
created in what should be a simple test (Issue #1 above).

Basically, I'd like to be to compile ANT with gcj and any other
dependencies IcedTea will present me and be on my way.  If anyone thinks
of other problems I may run into, or that I'm undertaking a really poor
approach, please speak up.

Thank you for any help and guidance.

John L. Poole