public inbox for java@gcc.gnu.org
From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@gmail.com>
To: Yale Zhang <yzhang1985@gmail.com>
Cc: java@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: add support for x86_64-w64-mingw32 and cut the fat from libgcj
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2017 00:33:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On Sun, Dec 24, 2017 at 1:44 PM, Yale Zhang <yzhang1985@gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings. I have a patch that allows GNU java to target MingW64
> (host=GNU/Linux only). Are you guys still taking patches now that Java
> has been removed from GCC 7? Or would it be more appropriate to host
> it on my own website or instructables.com?

My questions in a similar vein led to the suggestion to use the last
version that supported GCJ. Development on this version has stopped.

On the other hand, I am interested in your work, and know of at least
a few people who would be; hosting it publicly would be a good idea.
If GCC could accept the patches I suspect it would be beneficial, but
the people to review your contributions may no longer exist.

> I also have another patch that cuts all the GUI, cryptography, and non
> UTF8/16 charset support from libgcj. This reduces the size of
> statically linked EXEs a lot (~27MiB to 4.5 MiB for a hello world
> program). This is important for a legacy utility that other developers
> use on Windows and who don't want to install a Java runtime.
>
> Commenting out and deleting code is a crude way to do, I know. Should
> use conditional compilation and even explore what's causing GUI code
> to be dragged into a hello world program. Maybe dead code removal
> isn't working (need to compile with -ffunction-sections and
> --gc-sections?)

Do your changes make it impossible to use the functionality you cut
out? It is not really my place to say, but to me, that would be
unsuitable for inclusion in GCC proper.

I shouldn't guess, but it seems to me like the default classpath may
just be copied into the executable. Optimization passes may not be run
on it.

Cheers,
     R0b0t1