public inbox for java@gcc.gnu.org
* Re: GCJ ------ file type not supported by system
@ 2014-08-29  8:00 kgy
From: kgy @ 2014-08-29  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GCJ

>> I create a native exe [...] And at this point crashes the program [...]

>http://sscce.org/

>Regards, Bodo

I apologise for my trifling. I think too much on this problematic
error message, and I forgot to take notice of correct form of
requiring a support.

I create a native exe for windows by Cygvin.gcj v4.8.3.
This ended perfectally. And when I like to run, than exe
start and run to the point where I like to write to output
a sound stream with the "Audio stream with the
javax.sound.sampled.AudioSystem.write(...)" method. 2nd
parameter of this method is "AudioFileFormat.Type.WAVE".
Exactly the Java source is:

private long genSliceFeat(int featStart, int featEnd)
throws Exception
{
  WaveReader reader = new WaveFileReader(audioFile);
  AudioFormat format = reader.getFormat();

  int framStart = ((int) (featStart * freqRatio));
  int framEnd = ((int) (featEnd * freqRatio));
  int frameSize = format.getFrameSize();
  long pos = framStart * frameSize;
  byte[] wbytes = new byte[(framEnd - framStart) * frameSize];

  int read = reader.read(pos, wbytes);

  ByteArrayInputStream bais = new ByteArrayInputStream(wbytes);
  AudioInputStream ais = new AudioInputStream(bais, format, read /
frameSize);
  AudioSystem.write(ais, AudioFileFormat.Type.WAVE, sliceWavFile);
  bais.close();
  ais.close();
  bais = null;
  ais = null;
  System.gc();

  return extractWave(sliceWavFile, featureFile, FRONTEND_NAME_FOR_WAVE);
}

And the error message concerns to the
"AudioFileFormat.Type.WAVE" parameter which gives the type of
output sound file. And at this point crashes the program
with the next error message:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: file type not supported by system
   at javax.sound.sampled.AudioSystem.write(Unknown Source)
   at com.all.smws.speech.SpeechFilter.genSliceFeat(Unknown Source)
   at com.all.smws.speech.SpeechFilter.getAnnotations(Unknown Source)
   at com.all.sndsep.segmentation.Segmentor.getNewAnnotations(Unknown
Source)
   at com.all.sndsep.segmentation.Segmentor.getNewAnnotations(Unknown
Source)
   at com.all.sndsep.segmentation.Segmentor.getNewAnnotations(Unknown
Source)
   at com.all.sndsep.segmentation.Segmentor.getAllAnnotations(Unknown
Source)
   at com.all.smws.speech.SpeechFilter.getSmwsAnnotations(Unknown Source)
   at com.all.smws.speech.SMWS.getSpeech(Unknown Source)
   at com.all.onins.oi.stream.OnlineInputStream.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Please, help me someone with any words about why. The command
line, which generates the exe in Cygwin

gcj -fjni -mwindows --main=com.all.onins.oi.OnlineInputStub
./Jars/sndsep.jar ./Jars/sns.jar ./Jars/smws.jar ./Jars/onins.jar -o
onins_noopt.exe

Best regards

Gyozo Karsai
from Hungary

* Fwd: Re: GCJ ------ file type not supported by system
@ 2014-08-29  8:07 ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2014-08-29  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: classpath, kgy, java

I don't have an answer for you.  Maybe someone on the Classpath list does.

But I have to tell you that Classpath is not being actively developed,
so your problem is unlikely to be fixed.  You'll have to debug it
yourself or find someone to debug it.  Sorry.

Andrew.

[-- Attachment #2: Re: GCJ ------ file type not supported by system.eml --]
[-- Type: message/rfc822, Size: 6673 bytes --]

From: "kgy" <gykarsai@all.hu>
To: "GCJ" <java@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: GCJ ------ file type not supported by system
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 10:00:46 +0200

* Re: Fwd: Re: GCJ ------ file type not supported by system
@ 2014-08-29  8:34   ` Mario Torre
From: Mario Torre @ 2014-08-29  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Haley; +Cc: classpath, kgy, java

On Fri, 2014-08-29 at 09:07 +0100, Andrew Haley wrote:
> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: file type not supported by system
>    at javax.sound.sampled.AudioSystem.write(Unknown Source)
>    at com.all.smws.speech. .genSliceFeat(Unknown Source)
>    at com.all.smws.speech.SpeechFilter.getAnnotations(Unknown Source)
>    at com.all.sndsep.segmentation.Segmentor.getNewAnnotations(Unknown
> Source)
>    at com.all.sndsep.segmentation.Segmentor.getNewAnnotations(Unknown
> Source)
>    at com.all.sndsep.segmentation.Segmentor.getNewAnnotations(Unknown
> Source)
>    at com.all.sndsep.segmentation.Segmentor.getAllAnnotations(Unknown
> Source)
>    at com.all.smws.speech.SpeechFilter.getSmwsAnnotations(Unknown
> Source)
>    at com.all.smws.speech.SMWS.getSpeech(Unknown Source)
>    at com.all.onins.oi.stream.OnlineInputStream.run(Unknown Source)
>    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Just throwing a possible hint to the problem.

The Java Sound API works with system providers. By the look of if, the
provider used under the hood is some SpeechFilter thing, which I don't
think is part of either classpath or gcj.

Try checking the default providers in

META-INF/services/javax.sound.sampled.spi.AudioFileWriter

Just my two cents, but I won't have time to look it further if this
doesn't work...

Cheers,
Mario

* Re: Re: GCJ ------ file type not supported by system
@ 2014-08-29  9:47   ` Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
From: Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia @ 2014-08-29  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Haley; +Cc: classpath, kgy, java

That is a pity.

I think GNU Classpath is a very good choice for embedded systems with
limited flash/RAM (especially the latter).

Perhaps it is time to look for adopters to take care of the project?
It would be really bad to let it just die.

Guillermo

--
Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
guille.rodriguez@gmail.com

* Re: Re: GCJ ------ file type not supported by system
@ 2014-08-29  9:57     ` Mario Torre
From: Mario Torre @ 2014-08-29  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia; +Cc: Andrew Haley, classpath, kgy, java

On Fri, 2014-08-29 at 11:47 +0200, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia wrote:
> That is a pity.
>
> I think GNU Classpath is a very good choice for embedded systems with
> limited flash/RAM (especially the latter).
>
> Perhaps it is time to look for adopters to take care of the project?
> It would be really bad to let it just die.
>
> Guillermo

Hi Guillermo,

It's free software, anyone can step in :)

@ 2014-08-29 10:00       ` Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
From: Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia @ 2014-08-29 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mario Torre; +Cc: Andrew Haley, classpath, kgy, java

Hi Mario,

Yes I know that anyone can work on GNU Classpath. But as in any OSS
project, a new project maintainer taking over "ownership" (in the OSS
sense of the word) would need to have the approval and the support of
the current maintainers.

Guillermo

--

@ 2014-09-01  9:03         ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2014-09-01  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia, Mario Torre; +Cc: classpath, kgy, java

On 29/08/14 11:00, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia wrote:
> Yes I know that anyone can work on GNU Classpath. But as in any OSS
> project, a new project maintainer taking over "ownership" (in the OSS
> sense of the word) would need to have the approval and the support of
> the current maintainers.

That would not be a problem.  But really, there's no need to own
the project: all patches are welcome.

Andrew.

* Re: GCJ ------ file type not supported by system
@ 2014-09-01  9:32           ` Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
From: Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia @ 2014-09-01  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Haley; +Cc: Mario Torre, classpath, kgy, java

Hi Andrew,

> On 29/08/14 11:00, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia wrote:
>> Yes I know that anyone can work on GNU Classpath. But as in any OSS
>> project, a new project maintainer taking over "ownership" (in the OSS
>> sense of the word) would need to have the approval and the support of
>> the current maintainers.
>
> That would not be a problem.  But really, there's no need to own
> the project: all patches are welcome.

Yes I am sure about this, but that is not my point. What I am saying
is that it would be very good for the project to be maintained by a
team who really wants to move things forward.

--

@ 2014-09-01 10:47             ` Mario Torre
From: Mario Torre @ 2014-09-01 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia; +Cc: Andrew Haley, classpath, kgy, java

On Mon, 2014-09-01 at 11:32 +0200, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia wrote:
> Hi Andrew,

> > On 29/08/14 11:00, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia wrote:
> >> Yes I know that anyone can work on GNU Classpath. But as in any OSS
> >> project, a new project maintainer taking over "ownership" (in the OSS
> >> sense of the word) would need to have the approval and the support of
> >> the current maintainers.
> >
> > That would not be a problem.  But really, there's no need to own
> > the project: all patches are welcome.
>
> Yes I am sure about this, but that is not my point. What I am saying
> is that it would be very good for the project to be maintained by a
> team who really wants to move things forward.

I understand what you mean, but the current maintainer has always
integrated patches and done releases, I think the problem is not the
lack of one maintainer willing to move forward, is lack of manpower to
do it.

As I said, anyone can step in, if patches start to flow (including bug
fixes) I'm sure they'll be integrated correctly and quickly.

If someone wants to take the project, the best thing to do is to start
contributing patches. After all, how can the maintainer know if someone
is seriously willing to take his role if there lack of a serious and
recent contribution flow?

Cheers,
Mario

* Re: GCJ ------ file type not supported by system
@ 2014-09-03 16:12               ` Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
From: Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia @ 2014-09-03 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mario Torre; +Cc: Andrew Haley, classpath, kgy, java

Hi Mario,

[...]
>> Yes I am sure about this, but that is not my point. What I am saying
>> is that it would be very good for the project to be maintained by a
>> team who really wants to move things forward.
>>

> I understand what you mean, but the current maintainer has always
> integrated patches and done releases, I think the problem is not the
> lack of one maintainer willing to move forward, is lack of manpower to
> do it.

Well,part of the job of the maintainer for an OSS project, perhaps the
most important one, is to attract and motivate other developers. This
is how the 'lack of manpower' problem is solved.

Just as an example: 0.99 is now over 2 years old, yet the official
Classpath site still lists 0.98 (2009) as "current". 0.99 is not even
listed in the downloads page. If the first thing a developer sees is
that the latest release is more than 5 years old, that does not
exactly help. I already mentioned this in this list, by the way
(https://www.mail-archive.com/classpath@gnu.org/msg15456.html).

Also I am not the first one to raise these concerns. Pekka Enberg
wrote an excellent post about "the future of GNU Classpath" in Dec
2010, and the situation has not changed a lot since then. I cannot
find the original post anymore (the blog was hosted at posterous
spaces, which is no longer available), but the thread in the ML
remains (http://www.spinics.net/lists/gnu-classpath/msg03027.html).
But you already know this of course, since you took part in that
conversation.

> As I said, anyone can step in, if patches start to flow (including bug
> fixes) I'm sure they'll be integrated correctly and quickly.
>
> If someone wants to take the project, the best thing to do is to start
> contributing patches. After all, how can the maintainer know if someone
> is seriously willing to take his role if there lack of a serious and
> recent contribution flow?

Of course if someone wanted to take on the project, then that would be
the process. I completely agree with you.

At the end what I am saying is that:

1. Development of GNU Classpath seems to be stalled now (quoting from
an earlier post from Andrew Haley: "I have to tell you that Classpath
is not being actively developed, so your problem is unlikely to be
fixed.")

2. This is due to the lack of manpower, which in turn is probably due
to the lack of interested developers, but also to the fact that most
of the development effort of the current team is going to OpenJDK
instead.

3. Given the above, perhaps the current maintainers should consider
switching priorities and start actively looking for a "competent
successor" (as in lesson #5 of ESR's "The Cathedral and the Bazaar").

Best,
--

@ 2014-09-03 16:30                 ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2014-09-03 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia, Mario Torre; +Cc: classpath, kgy, java

On 09/03/2014 05:12 PM, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia wrote:
> 1. Development of GNU Classpath seems to be stalled now (quoting from
> an earlier post from Andrew Haley: "I have to tell you that Classpath
> is not being actively developed, so your problem is unlikely to be
> fixed.")
>
> 2. This is due to the lack of manpower, which in turn is probably due
> to the lack of interested developers, but also to the fact that most
> of the development effort of the current team is going to OpenJDK
> instead.
>
> 3. Given the above, perhaps the current maintainers should consider
> switching priorities and start actively looking for a "competent
> successor" (as in lesson #5 of ESR's "The Cathedral and the Bazaar").

Your opinion has been noted.  Now, what do *you* intend to do to help?

Andrew.

* Re: GCJ ------ file type not supported by system
@ 2014-09-03 16:35                   ` Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
From: Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia @ 2014-09-03 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Haley; +Cc: Mario Torre, classpath, kgy, java

Hi Andrew,

> On 09/03/2014 05:12 PM, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia wrote:
>> 1. Development of GNU Classpath seems to be stalled now (quoting from
>> an earlier post from Andrew Haley: "I have to tell you that Classpath
>> is not being actively developed, so your problem is unlikely to be
>> fixed.")
>>
>> 2. This is due to the lack of manpower, which in turn is probably due
>> to the lack of interested developers, but also to the fact that most
>> of the development effort of the current team is going to OpenJDK
>> instead.
>>
>> 3. Given the above, perhaps the current maintainers should consider
>> switching priorities and start actively looking for a "competent
>> successor" (as in lesson #5 of ESR's "The Cathedral and the Bazaar").
>
> Your opinion has been noted.  Now, what do *you* intend to do to help?

I am willing to help where possible. Sending patches or bugfixes is OK
(and I will do so if I come across any problems), but in my opinion
this does not address the real problem. For example *I* cannot update
the GNU Classpath page to list 0.99, and not 0.98, as the current
version.

What would you like me to do? How can I help ?

--

@ 2014-09-03 17:11                     ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2014-09-03 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia; +Cc: Mario Torre, classpath, kgy, java

Hi,

On 09/03/2014 05:35 PM, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia wrote:
> Hi Andrew,

>> On 09/03/2014 05:12 PM, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia wrote:
>>> 1. Development of GNU Classpath seems to be stalled now (quoting from
>>> an earlier post from Andrew Haley: "I have to tell you that Classpath
>>> is not being actively developed, so your problem is unlikely to be
>>> fixed.")
>>>
>>> 2. This is due to the lack of manpower, which in turn is probably due
>>> to the lack of interested developers, but also to the fact that most
>>> of the development effort of the current team is going to OpenJDK
>>> instead.
>>>
>>> 3. Given the above, perhaps the current maintainers should consider
>>> switching priorities and start actively looking for a "competent
>>> successor" (as in lesson #5 of ESR's "The Cathedral and the Bazaar").
>>
>> Your opinion has been noted.  Now, what do *you* intend to do to help?
>
> I am willing to help where possible. Sending patches or bugfixes is OK
> (and I will do so if I come across any problems), but in my opinion
> this does not address the real problem. For example *I* cannot update
> the GNU Classpath page to list 0.99, and not 0.98, as the current
> version.

Almost all of GNU Classpath is under source control, and patches are
welcome.  A new version of the web page is welcome.  Having said that,
I don't have access to the web page, but I think we can get it.

> What would you like me to do? How can I help ?

I think I'd like people to fix problems when they find them.  "Update
Classpath to Java 1.6." isn't a reasonable interim goal.

Andrew.

* Re: GCJ ------ file type not supported by system
@ 2014-09-03 17:31                       ` Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
From: Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia @ 2014-09-03 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Haley; +Cc: Mario Torre, classpath, kgy, java

> Hi,
>
> On 09/03/2014 05:35 PM, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia wrote:
>> Hi Andrew,

>>> Your opinion has been noted.  Now, what do *you* intend to do to help?
>>
>> I am willing to help where possible. Sending patches or bugfixes is OK
>> (and I will do so if I come across any problems), but in my opinion
>> this does not address the real problem. For example *I* cannot update
>> the GNU Classpath page to list 0.99, and not 0.98, as the current
>> version.
>
> Almost all of GNU Classpath is under source control, and patches are
> welcome.  A new version of the web page is welcome.  Having said that,
> I don't have access to the web page, but I think we can get it.

I think updating the web page is badly needed. At least 0.99 should be
listed, and perhaps it would be good to add a pointer to the Git
repository -- I don't think CVS is very popular these days. Is the web
page itself under source control? How can I contribute patches or
updates to that?

>> What would you like me to do? How can I help ?
>
> I think I'd like people to fix problems when they find them.

Sure!

> "Update Classpath to Java 1.6." isn't a reasonable interim goal.

Now that OpenJDK is available, Classpath cannot just aim to be
"another OpenJDK". I think Classpath is a good match for embedded
systems. And in that environment, compatibility with the latest Java
versions is less important IMHO.

--

@ 2014-09-03 17:59                     ` Per Bothner
From: Per Bothner @ 2014-09-03 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia; +Cc: classpath, java

On 09/03/2014 09:35 AM, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia wrote:
> What would you like me to do? How can I help ?

More useful than updating Classoath per se would be creating
a version of GCJ that uses OpenJDK's javac for compiling to bytecodes,
and OpenJDK classes (or at least mostly so).  This is a big project,
but has a chance of being useful and maintained.

There may be licensing issues that should be considered before
charging full steam ahead.

I'm out of the loop, so I don't know if anything like that is happening.
I'd start with switching to using javac.  When I'd add/replace whatever
non-core classes that don't wouldn't conflict with GCJ/Classpath core classes.
Maybe this wold be a fork or branch of Classpath, or maybe the mainline - depends
on the changes.

In general, the sanest way to update classpath is to merge in OpenJDK code.
(Again, assuming licensing and other policy issues have been evaluated.)
However, the OpenJDK classes may depend on recent Java language features.
Which is why projects using Classpath should switch to using OpenJDK's javac.
(I don't believe Eclipse's compiler is as solid or complete, though that may be
my bias from having worked with javac engineers.  It's probably good enough for
at least the initial stages of merging in OpenJDK classes.)
--
	--Per Bothner

* Re: GCJ ------ file type not supported by system
@ 2014-09-03 18:00                         ` Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2014-09-03 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
  Cc: Andrew Haley, Mario Torre, classpath, kgy, java

On Wed, 2014-09-03 at 19:31 +0200, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia wrote:
> Is the web
> page itself under source control? How can I contribute patches or
> updates to that?

All the docs and the web pages are under source control. The webpages
are checked into their own repository, but are generated from the main
sources. http://web.cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/?root=classpath

See the README under the doc/www.gnu.org directory in the source repo:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/classpath.git/tree/doc/www.gnu.org/README

* Re: GCJ ------ file type not supported by system
@ 2014-09-03 18:06                       ` Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2014-09-03 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Per Bothner; +Cc: Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia, classpath, java

On Wed, 2014-09-03 at 10:59 -0700, Per Bothner wrote:
> On 09/03/2014 09:35 AM, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia wrote:
> > What would you like me to do? How can I help ?
>
> More useful than updating Classoath per se would be creating
> a version of GCJ that uses OpenJDK's javac for compiling to bytecodes,
> and OpenJDK classes (or at least mostly so).  This is a big project,
> but has a chance of being useful and maintained.
>
> There may be licensing issues that should be considered before
> charging full steam ahead.
>
> I'm out of the loop, so I don't know if anything like that is happening.

This is happening (or has already). The code has been written by one of
the GCC GSoC students (now at Oracle) Dalibor Topic:
"Integrating OpenJDK's javac bytecode compiler into gcj "
https://code.google.com/p/google-summer-of-code-2007-gcc/downloads/detail?name=Dalibor_Topic.tar.gz&can=2&q=
Someone integrating that into mainline would be welcome I think.

Cheers,

Mark

* Re: GCJ ------ file type not supported by system
@ 2014-09-03 19:00                           ` Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
From: Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia @ 2014-09-03 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Wielaard; +Cc: Andrew Haley, Mario Torre, classpath, kgy, java

> On Wed, 2014-09-03 at 19:31 +0200, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia wrote:
>> Is the web
>> page itself under source control? How can I contribute patches or
>> updates to that?
>
> All the docs and the web pages are under source control. The webpages
> are checked into their own repository, but are generated from the main
> sources. http://web.cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/?root=classpath
>
> See the README under the doc/www.gnu.org directory in the source repo:
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/classpath.git/tree/doc/www.gnu.org/README

Thank you, I will have a look at this.

--

@ 2014-09-04  8:14                       ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2014-09-04  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Per Bothner, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia; +Cc: classpath, java

On 03/09/14 18:59, Per Bothner wrote:
> On 09/03/2014 09:35 AM, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia wrote:
>> What would you like me to do? How can I help ?
>
> More useful than updating Classoath per se would be creating
> a version of GCJ that uses OpenJDK's javac for compiling to bytecodes,

Why?  Eclipse's javac seems fine.

> (I don't believe Eclipse's compiler is as solid or complete, though that may be
> my bias from having worked with javac engineers.  It's probably good enough for
> at least the initial stages of merging in OpenJDK classes.)

Oh, OK.  Most of the world I know about uses Eclipse for everything.

Andrew.

* Re: GCJ ------ file type not supported by system
@ 2014-09-04 12:14                 ` Andïï
From: Andïï @ 2014-09-04 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
  Cc: Mario Torre, Andrew Haley, classpath, kgy, java

On 3 September 2014 17:12, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
<guille.rodriguez@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Mario,

> [...]
> >> Yes I am sure about this, but that is not my point. What I am saying
> >> is that it would be very good for the project to be maintained by a
> >> team who really wants to move things forward.
> >>

> > I understand what you mean, but the current maintainer has always
> > integrated patches and done releases, I think the problem is not the
> > lack of one maintainer willing to move forward, is lack of manpower to
> > do it.
>
> Well,part of the job of the maintainer for an OSS project, perhaps the
> most important one, is to attract and motivate other developers. This
> is how the 'lack of manpower' problem is solved.
>
> Just as an example: 0.99 is now over 2 years old, yet the official
> Classpath site still lists 0.98 (2009) as "current". 0.99 is not even
> listed in the downloads page. If the first thing a developer sees is
> that the latest release is more than 5 years old, that does not
> exactly help. I already mentioned this in this list, by the way
> (https://www.mail-archive.com/classpath@gnu.org/msg15456.html).

I'm aware of this and I see your point. The issue is that the web pages
rely on a tool called wml that seems to be no longer maintained and
I've simply not had chance to look at fixing it up myself or doing away
with it.

If you want to do so, feel free. I can point you in the right direction.

> Also I am not the first one to raise these concerns. Pekka Enberg
> wrote an excellent post about "the future of GNU Classpath" in Dec
> 2010, and the situation has not changed a lot since then. I cannot
> find the original post anymore (the blog was hosted at posterous
> spaces, which is no longer available), but the thread in the ML
> remains (http://www.spinics.net/lists/gnu-classpath/msg03027.html).
> But you already know this of course, since you took part in that
> conversation.
>

> > As I said, anyone can step in, if patches start to flow (including bug
> > fixes) I'm sure they'll be integrated correctly and quickly.
> >
> > If someone wants to take the project, the best thing to do is to start
> > contributing patches. After all, how can the maintainer know if someone
> > is seriously willing to take his role if there lack of a serious and
> > recent contribution flow?
> >

> Of course if someone wanted to take on the project, then that would be
> the process. I completely agree with you.

There have been three changes made this year already:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/classpath.git/log/

They were included pretty much as soon as they were posted.

I also have some stuff I'm working on, but it has to take second place
to maintaining three (soon four) major versions of OpenJDK/IcedTea.

> At the end what I am saying is that:
>
> 1. Development of GNU Classpath seems to be stalled now (quoting from
> an earlier post from Andrew Haley: "I have to tell you that Classpath
> is not being actively developed, so your problem is unlikely to be
> fixed.")

Sorry, but that's simply nonsense, as can be seen by what I've said above.
It's slow, because there aren't many people with the time and interest, but
it's certainly not 'stalled'.

> 2. This is due to the lack of manpower, which in turn is probably due
> to the lack of interested developers, but also to the fact that most
> of the development effort of the current team is going to OpenJDK
> instead.
>
> 3. Given the above, perhaps the current maintainers should consider
> switching priorities and start actively looking for a "competent
> successor" (as in lesson #5 of ESR's "The Cathedral and the Bazaar").

Maybe rather than complaining and telling us what we already know, you
could help by providing patches?

I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but this is really quite unhelpful to someone
who's trying to do what they can for the project with the limited resources
available.

Pekka did so and, as far as I'm aware, they've all been integrated into the
codebase.

--
Andii :-)

* Re: GCJ ------ file type not supported by system
@ 2014-09-04 16:17                   ` Guillermo Rodriguez
                                       ` (3 more replies)
From: Guillermo Rodriguez @ 2014-09-04 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andïï; +Cc: Mario Torre, Andrew Haley, classpath, kgy, java

El 04/09/2014 14:14, Andïï escribió:
> On 3 September 2014 17:12, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
> <guille.rodriguez@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Mario,

>> [...]
>>>>

>>> I understand what you mean, but the current maintainer has always
>>> integrated patches and done releases, I think the problem is not the
>>> lack of one maintainer willing to move forward, is lack of manpower to
>>> do it.
>>
>> Well,part of the job of the maintainer for an OSS project, perhaps the
>> most important one, is to attract and motivate other developers. This
>> is how the 'lack of manpower' problem is solved.
>>
>> Just as an example: 0.99 is now over 2 years old, yet the official
>> Classpath site still lists 0.98 (2009) as "current". 0.99 is not even
>> listed in the downloads page. If the first thing a developer sees is
>> that the latest release is more than 5 years old, that does not
>> exactly help. I already mentioned this in this list, by the way
>> (https://www.mail-archive.com/classpath@gnu.org/msg15456.html).
>

> I'm aware of this and I see your point. The issue is that the web pages
> rely on a tool called wml that seems to be no longer maintained and
> I've simply not had chance to look at fixing it up myself or doing away
> with it.
>
> If you want to do so, feel free. I can point you in the right direction.

I was going to send a set of patches against the CVS repository that
Mark Wielaard posted (http://web.cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/classpath/?root=classpath)

I don't really see the point of "fixing" an obsolete tool that is no
longer maintained. Can't we update the HTML pages directly (short term
solution) and then later decide on what to do with WML ?

If patching the HTML files is OK (that's what I understood from Mark's
e-mail) I will do that.

>> Also I am not the first one to raise these concerns. Pekka Enberg
>> wrote an excellent post about "the future of GNU Classpath" in Dec
>> 2010, and the situation has not changed a lot since then. I cannot
>> find the original post anymore (the blog was hosted at posterous
>> spaces, which is no longer available), but the thread in the ML
>> remains (http://www.spinics.net/lists/gnu-classpath/msg03027.html).
>> But you already know this of course, since you took part in that
>> conversation.
>>

>>> As I said, anyone can step in, if patches start to flow (including bug
>>> fixes) I'm sure they'll be integrated correctly and quickly.
>>>
>>> If someone wants to take the project, the best thing to do is to start
>>> contributing patches. After all, how can the maintainer know if someone
>>> is seriously willing to take his role if there lack of a serious and
>>> recent contribution flow?
>>>

>> Of course if someone wanted to take on the project, then that would be
>> the process. I completely agree with you.
>>

> There have been three changes made this year already:
>
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/classpath.git/log/
>
> They were included pretty much as soon as they were posted.
>
> I also have some stuff I'm working on, but it has to take second place
> to maintaining three (soon four) major versions of OpenJDK/IcedTea.
>
>> At the end what I am saying is that:
>>
>> 1. Development of GNU Classpath seems to be stalled now (quoting from
>> an earlier post from Andrew Haley: "I have to tell you that Classpath
>> is not being actively developed, so your problem is unlikely to be
>> fixed.")
>
> Sorry, but that's simply nonsense,

Sorry, but it wasn't me who said "Classpath is not being actively developed".

> as can be seen by what I've said above.
> It's slow, because there aren't many people with the time and interest, but
> it's certainly not 'stalled'.

That's a very subtle difference, if any.

>> 2. This is due to the lack of manpower, which in turn is probably due
>> to the lack of interested developers, but also to the fact that most
>> of the development effort of the current team is going to OpenJDK
>> instead.
>>
>> 3. Given the above, perhaps the current maintainers should consider
>> switching priorities and start actively looking for a "competent
>> successor" (as in lesson #5 of ESR's "The Cathedral and the Bazaar").
>
> Maybe rather than complaining and telling us what we already know, you
> could help by providing patches?

I think that asking to "help rather than complain" is a bit unfair.

First of all I am not "complaining", I am trying to suggest that perhaps,
if time and resources are limited, the best way to spend them would be to
look for a successor.

Second, I am willing to help in any way I can, and already stated that.
Yes I can submit patches (and will do) although in my opinion this does
not address the underlying problem. I think that updating the website
(to help raise awareness and attract developers) would be much more
useful than sending patches to fix bugs or issues.

> I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but this is really quite unhelpful to someone
> who's trying to do what they can for the project with the limited resources
> available.

It is not my intent to be unhelpful, rather on the contrary. Anyway I am
sorry if it came across that way.

Guillermo

* Re: GCJ ------ file type not supported by system
@ 2014-09-04 18:54                     ` Pekka Enberg
       [not found]                       ` <CABDcavbXxFiqTenZm0DJ8MhT5TLOgiMDhGArRjB5wpuTzG7c-g@mail.gmail.com>
                                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Pekka Enberg @ 2014-09-04 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillermo Rodriguez; +Cc: Andïï, classpath, kgy, java

On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 7:17 PM, Guillermo Rodriguez
<guille.rodriguez@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think that asking to "help rather than complain" is a bit unfair.

No, it's really not unfair at all. You are basically saying Andrew is
doing a crappy job as a maintainer when in reality he's pretty much
the only one developing GNU Classpath these days...

On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 7:17 PM, Guillermo Rodriguez
<guille.rodriguez@gmail.com> wrote:
> First of all I am not "complaining", I am trying to suggest that perhaps,
> if time and resources are limited, the best way to spend them would be to
> look for a successor.

Thanks for the suggestion. We're going to just ignore it because it
makes no sense. Once you answer the hypothetical question *who* should
be the successor, you will understand why.

On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 7:17 PM, Guillermo Rodriguez
<guille.rodriguez@gmail.com> wrote:
> Second, I am willing to help in any way I can, and already stated that.
> Yes I can submit patches (and will do) although in my opinion this does
> not address the underlying problem. I think that updating the website
> (to help raise awareness and attract developers) would be much more
> useful than sending patches to fix bugs or issues.

I also think the website needs fixing. Are sources to it available
somewhere and who is able to update it if someone actually sends a
patch against it?

- Pekka

@ 2014-09-04 20:07                         ` Pekka Enberg
From: Pekka Enberg @ 2014-09-04 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia; +Cc: classpath, kgy, java

El jueves, 4 de septiembre de 2014, Pekka Enberg <penberg@kernel.org> escribió:
>> No, it's really not unfair at all. You are basically saying Andrew is
>> doing a crappy job as a maintainer

On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 10:29 PM, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
<guille.rodriguez@gmail.com> wrote:
> No, I am definitely NOT saying that, nothing even close. Please don't put
> your words in my mouth, thank you.

Of course you are saying that. Why else would you even bring up the
issue of finding a "competent successor" which implies that Andrew is
no longer interested in GNU Classpath and neglecting its maintenance?

El jueves, 4 de septiembre de 2014, Pekka Enberg <penberg@kernel.org> escribió:
>> Once you answer the hypothetical question *who* should
>> be the successor, you will understand why.

On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 10:29 PM, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
<guille.rodriguez@gmail.com> wrote:
> I see, so if I don't have the answer, the question makes no sense. Ok.

You didn't even try to answer the question, did you?

If Andrew actually needed a "competent successor" (he doesn't), what
is required of that person? The person needs to be an active
developer, needs to understand GNU Classpath well, and has to have
support from people who actually developed the project, right?

Are you able to make an educated guess who actually meets that criteria?

- Pekka

* Re: GCJ ------ file type not supported by system
@ 2014-09-04 20:15                           ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2014-09-04 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pekka Enberg, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia; +Cc: classpath, kgy, java

On 09/04/2014 09:07 PM, Pekka Enberg wrote:
> El jueves, 4 de septiembre de 2014, Pekka Enberg <penberg@kernel.org> escribió:
>>> No, it's really not unfair at all. You are basically saying Andrew is
>>> doing a crappy job as a maintainer
>
> On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 10:29 PM, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
> <guille.rodriguez@gmail.com> wrote:
>> No, I am definitely NOT saying that, nothing even close. Please don't put
>> your words in my mouth, thank you.
>
> Of course you are saying that. Why else would you even bring up the
> issue of finding a "competent successor" which implies that Andrew is
> no longer interested in GNU Classpath and neglecting its maintenance?

Whoa Pekka, be nice.  Let's just assume that Guillermo is sincere, and
he wants to help.

The problem isn't competence.  All of us are competent.  It's a lack of
time.  All of us, I believe, have day jobs, and none of them are in GNU
Classpath development.

> El jueves, 4 de septiembre de 2014, Pekka Enberg <penberg@kernel.org> escribió:
>>> Once you answer the hypothetical question *who* should
>>> be the successor, you will understand why.
>
> On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 10:29 PM, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
> <guille.rodriguez@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I see, so if I don't have the answer, the question makes no sense. Ok.
>
> You didn't even try to answer the question, did you?
>
> If Andrew actually needed a "competent successor" (he doesn't), what
> is required of that person? The person needs to be an active
> developer, needs to understand GNU Classpath well, and has to have
> support from people who actually developed the project, right?
>
> Are you able to make an educated guess who actually meets that criteria?

Guillermo, please.  You phrased your point badly, in a way that was likely
to annoy people.  I believe that you didn't want to do that.

Everyone: let's have a proper discussion.  Is there something we can
do with GNU Classpath that takes it further forward.  And, if so,
what?  What would our goals be?

Andrew.

* Re: GCJ ------ file type not supported by system
@ 2014-09-04 20:37                         ` Per Bothner
From: Per Bothner @ 2014-09-04 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: java

On 09/04/2014 01:13 AM, Andrew Haley wrote:
> On 03/09/14 18:59, Per Bothner wrote:
>> On 09/03/2014 09:35 AM, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia wrote:
>> (I don't believe Eclipse's compiler is as solid or complete, though that may be
>> my bias from having worked with javac engineers.  It's probably good enough for
>> at least the initial stages of merging in OpenJDK classes.)
>
> Oh, OK.  Most of the world I know about uses Eclipse for everything.

The Oracle javac team are part of the group that designs languages changes,
writes the language specification, and figure out the corner cases.  They work
closely with the people working on libraries, and the VM.  The Eclipse
compiler people are inherently going to have a problem keeping up.
I have read that the Eclipse support for Java 8 features was pretty
rushed, under-resourced, and barely done in time.

If I ran Eclipse, I'd drop the compiler, and use OpenJDK javac,
like NetBeans does.  (Probably - there may be good reasons to keep ecj,
but I suspect the biggest one is the one-time switch-over hurdle.)
It wouldn't surprise me to see that happening.
--
	--Per Bothner

* Re: GCJ ------ file type not supported by system
@ 2014-09-04 20:43                             ` Pekka Enberg
From: Pekka Enberg @ 2014-09-04 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Haley; +Cc: Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia, classpath, kgy, java

On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 11:15 PM, Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com> wrote:
> Everyone: let's have a proper discussion.  Is there something we can
> do with GNU Classpath that takes it further forward.  And, if so,
> what?  What would our goals be?

I think Guillermo is right that we need to update the GNU Classpath
web site. Right now, it gives the impression that the project is
abandoned...

- Pekka

* Re: GCJ ------ file type not supported by system
@ 2014-09-04 21:35                     ` Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2014-09-04 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillermo Rodriguez; +Cc: Andïï, classpath, kgy, java

On Thu, 2014-09-04 at 18:17 +0200, Guillermo Rodriguez wrote:
> El 04/09/2014 14:14, Andïï escribió:
> > I'm aware of this and I see your point. The issue is that the web pages
> > rely on a tool called wml that seems to be no longer maintained and
> > I've simply not had chance to look at fixing it up myself or doing away
> > with it.
> >
> > If you want to do so, feel free. I can point you in the right direction.
>
> I was going to send a set of patches against the CVS repository that
> Mark Wielaard posted (http://web.cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/classpath/?root=classpath)
>
> I don't really see the point of "fixing" an obsolete tool that is no
> longer maintained. Can't we update the HTML pages directly (short term
> solution) and then later decide on what to do with WML ?
>
> If patching the HTML files is OK (that's what I understood from Mark's
> e-mail) I will do that.

I admit that I don't really like doing that. But when I looked for my
working copy of WML I noticed it doesn't actually work anymore on my
latest distro :{ And when looking for the latest version at
http://thewml.org/ the Distrib location is broken, so I don't actually
know where to get a source copy right now.

So we should probably move away from WML and find some other framework
to do the website it.

Given that we don't yet have that other framework it might be good to
just make the changes to the HTML files in the web repo directly. If you
do sent a patch for that please also sent a patch explaining the current
situation for the main git repo doc/www.gnu.org/README. So others know
to not try to update the website using the old WML framework. And please
note that the publishing rule in doc/www.gnu.org/Makefile relies on the
other docs one level up to publish the guides under
https://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/docs/docs.html

Also, as a side note, I just noticed the webpages look bad under https,
they look fine under http though.

Thanks,

Mark

* Re: GCJ ------ file type not supported by system
@ 2014-09-05  9:38                     ` Mario Torre
From: Mario Torre @ 2014-09-05  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillermo Rodriguez; +Cc: Andïï, Andrew Haley, classpath, kgy, java

On Thu, 2014-09-04 at 18:17 +0200, Guillermo Rodriguez wrote:
> Yes I can submit patches

Just start doing that, everything else will follow like the water in a
river in a rainy winter. We won't build dams.

Cheers,
Mario

* Re: GCJ ------ file type not supported by system
                                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-09-05  9:39                     ` Mario Torre
From: Mario Torre @ 2014-09-05  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillermo Rodriguez; +Cc: Andïï, Andrew Haley, classpath, kgy, java

On Thu, 2014-09-04 at 18:17 +0200, Guillermo Rodriguez wrote:
> I think that updating the website

P.S. That counts as a patch as well ;)

Cheers,
Mario