public inbox for java@gcc.gnu.org
* Re: Source for current ECJ not available on sourceware.org
       [not found] <AANLkTin6iwBAVhNeNDQ203UC1BUCYP-kLnsDXk2ufLcz@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2010-06-28 21:25 ` David Daney
From: David Daney @ 2010-06-28 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brett Neumeier, Java List; +Cc: gcc

On 06/28/2010 01:11 PM, Brett Neumeier wrote:
> The GCC build process uses ecj, which is obtained from sourceware.org
> using contrib/download_ecj. The current latest version of ecj, used
> for the GCC build, is ecj 4.5.
>
> The previous version of ecj was 4.3, the source for which can be found
> at the same location on sourceware.org. But the FTP site doesn't
> contain the source for ecj 4.5.
>
> Are there any plans to publish the source code along with the binary
> jar file? In the meantime, where can I find the source code for the
> current ecj, as needed by gcc? Is there a source repository I can get
> to?

The source is available somewhere, I have seen it.

java@gcc.gnu.org is the best place to ask java questions.  Let's see
what they say over there.

David Daney

* Re: Source for current ECJ not available on sourceware.org
@ 2010-06-28 22:37   ` Matthias Klose
From: Matthias Klose @ 2010-06-28 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Daney; +Cc: Brett Neumeier, Java List, gcc

On 28.06.2010 23:25, David Daney wrote:
> On 06/28/2010 01:11 PM, Brett Neumeier wrote:
>> The GCC build process uses ecj, which is obtained from sourceware.org
>> using contrib/download_ecj. The current latest version of ecj, used
>> for the GCC build, is ecj 4.5.
>>
>> The previous version of ecj was 4.3, the source for which can be found
>> at the same location on sourceware.org. But the FTP site doesn't
>> contain the source for ecj 4.5.
>>
>> Are there any plans to publish the source code along with the binary
>> jar file? In the meantime, where can I find the source code for the
>> current ecj, as needed by gcc? Is there a source repository I can get
>> to?
>>

> The source is available somewhere, I have seen it.
>
> java@gcc.gnu.org is the best place to ask java questions. Let's see what
> they say over there.

sourceware.org:/pub/java holds both ecj-4.3 and ecj-4.5

* Re: Source for current ECJ not available on sourceware.org
@ 2010-06-29 14:29     ` Brett Neumeier
From: Brett Neumeier @ 2010-06-29 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Klose; +Cc: David Daney, Java List, gcc

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 5:37 PM, Matthias Klose <doko@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> sourceware.org:/pub/java holds both ecj-4.3 and ecj-4.5

That site holds the binaries of both ecj-4.3 and ecj-4.5.  It has the
source code only for ecj-4.3. What I am interested in is the *source
code* for ecj-4.5.

--
Brett Neumeier (bneumeier@gmail.com)

* Re: Source for current ECJ not available on sourceware.org
@ 2010-06-29 14:49       ` Brett Neumeier
From: Brett Neumeier @ 2010-06-29 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Klose; +Cc: David Daney, Java List, gcc

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 9:19 AM, Brett Neumeier <bneumeier@gmail.com> wrote:
> That site holds the binaries of both ecj-4.3 and ecj-4.5.  It has the
> source code only for ecj-4.3. What I am interested in is the *source
> code* for ecj-4.5.

OK, I found the source repositories by looking at the ecj-4.3 source.
ecj is in CVS at sources.redhat.com:/cvs/rhug, and its Makefile
obtains the upstream compiler source from Eclipse CVS at
:pserver:anonymous@dev.eclipse.org:/cvsroot/eclipse.

What is still not clear is: what version of the ecj CVS project
corresponds to "ecj 4.5"? It doesn't look like there are branches or
tags in the CVS repository.

Is there any way to know who put the ecj-4.5 binary jar file on
sourceware.org? Perhaps we could ask that person to put the
corresponding ecj source tarball on the FTP site as well?

Also -- the ECJ source contains a single Java file (for the class
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.batch.GCCMain), in addition to
downloading the rest of the compiler source from eclipse.org. GCCMain
doesn't have any license statement in its header, and there is no
license in the ECJ source repository at sources.redhat.com. What
license applies to o.e.j.i.c.b.GCCMain? Is it under the EPL, or the
GPL, or something else?

Cheers!

bn

--

@ 2010-06-29 17:14         ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2010-06-29 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brett Neumeier; +Cc: Matthias Klose, David Daney, Java List, gcc

Brett> What is still not clear is: what version of the ecj CVS project
Brett> corresponds to "ecj 4.5"? It doesn't look like there are branches or
Brett> tags in the CVS repository.

Yeah, oops.  We've been remiss in doing that.

I believe 4.5 was made from CVS head.  IIRC, Matthias made it and I
uploaded it.  So maybe he knows for sure.  We can make a tag once we
know for sure.

Brett> Also -- the ECJ source contains a single Java file (for the class
Brett> org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.batch.GCCMain), in addition to
Brett> downloading the rest of the compiler source from eclipse.org. GCCMain
Brett> doesn't have any license statement in its header, and there is no
Brett> license in the ECJ source repository at sources.redhat.com. What
Brett> license applies to o.e.j.i.c.b.GCCMain? Is it under the EPL, or the
Brett> GPL, or something else?

I think it has to be EPL.  It was derived substantially from the Eclipse
compiler driver.

Tom