public inbox for jit@gcc.gnu.org
* Re: [patch] PR jit/87808: Allow libgccjit to work without an external gcc driver
@ 2019-01-01  0:00   ` Matthias Klose
From: Matthias Klose @ 2019-01-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Malcolm, GCC Patches, jit

On 22.03.19 23:00, David Malcolm wrote:
> On Thu, 2019-03-21 at 12:26 +0100, Matthias Klose wrote:
>> Fix PR jit/87808, the embedded driver still needing the external gcc
>> driver to
>> find the gcc_lib_dir. This can happen in a packaging context when
>> libgccjit
>> doesn't depend on the gcc package, but just on binutils and libgcc-
>> dev packages.
>> libgccjit probably could use /proc/self/maps to find the gcc_lib_dir,
>> but that
>> doesn't seem to be very portable.
>>
>> Ok for the trunk and the branches?
>>
>> Matthias
>
> [CCing the jit list]
>
> I've been trying to reproduce this bug in a working copy, and failing.
>
> Matthias, do you have a recipe you've been using to reproduce this?

the JIT debug log shows the driver names that it wants to call.  Are you sure
that this driver isn't available anywhere?  I configure the gcc build with
--program-suffix=-8 --program-prefix=x86_64-linux-gnu-, and that one was only
available in one place, /usr/bin.

Matthias

* Re: [patch] PR jit/87808: Allow libgccjit to work without an external gcc driver
       [not found] <c35cf6d3-0eab-92fa-458d-2a544b7f9e66@ubuntu.com>
@ 2019-01-01  0:00 ` David Malcolm
From: David Malcolm @ 2019-01-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Klose, GCC Patches, jit

On Thu, 2019-03-21 at 12:26 +0100, Matthias Klose wrote:
> Fix PR jit/87808, the embedded driver still needing the external gcc
> driver to
> find the gcc_lib_dir. This can happen in a packaging context when
> libgccjit
> doesn't depend on the gcc package, but just on binutils and libgcc-
> dev packages.
> libgccjit probably could use /proc/self/maps to find the gcc_lib_dir,
> but that
> doesn't seem to be very portable.
>
> Ok for the trunk and the branches?
>
> Matthias

[CCing the jit list]

I've been trying to reproduce this bug in a working copy, and failing.

Matthias, do you have a recipe you've been using to reproduce this?

Thanks
Dave

* Re: [patch] PR jit/87808: Allow libgccjit to work without an external gcc driver
@ 2021-07-12 21:00     ` Matthias Klose
From: Matthias Klose @ 2021-07-12 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Malcolm, GCC Patches, jit

On 3/26/19 12:52 PM, Matthias Klose wrote:
> On 22.03.19 23:00, David Malcolm wrote:
>> On Thu, 2019-03-21 at 12:26 +0100, Matthias Klose wrote:
>>> Fix PR jit/87808, the embedded driver still needing the external gcc
>>> driver to
>>> find the gcc_lib_dir. This can happen in a packaging context when
>>> libgccjit
>>> doesn't depend on the gcc package, but just on binutils and libgcc-
>>> dev packages.
>>> libgccjit probably could use /proc/self/maps to find the gcc_lib_dir,
>>> but that
>>> doesn't seem to be very portable.
>>>
>>> Ok for the trunk and the branches?
>>>
>>> Matthias
>>
>> [CCing the jit list]
>>
>> I've been trying to reproduce this bug in a working copy, and failing.
>>
>> Matthias, do you have a recipe you've been using to reproduce this?
>
> the JIT debug log shows the driver names that it wants to call.  Are you sure
> that this driver isn't available anywhere?  I configure the gcc build with
> --program-suffix=-8 --program-prefix=x86_64-linux-gnu-, and that one was only
> available in one place, /usr/bin.
>
> Matthias

David, the bug report now has two more comments from people that the current
behavior is broken.  Please could you review the patch?

Thanks, Matthias

* Re: [patch] PR jit/87808: Allow libgccjit to work without an external gcc driver
@ 2021-07-13  6:41       ` Richard Biener
From: Richard Biener @ 2021-07-13  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Klose; +Cc: David Malcolm, GCC Patches, jit

On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 11:00 PM Matthias Klose <doko@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On 3/26/19 12:52 PM, Matthias Klose wrote:

> >> [CCing the jit list]
> >>
> >> I've been trying to reproduce this bug in a working copy, and failing.
> >>
> >> Matthias, do you have a recipe you've been using to reproduce this?
> >
> > the JIT debug log shows the driver names that it wants to call.  Are you sure
> > that this driver isn't available anywhere?  I configure the gcc build with
> > --program-suffix=-8 --program-prefix=x86_64-linux-gnu-, and that one was only
> > available in one place, /usr/bin.
> >
> > Matthias
>
> David, the bug report now has two more comments from people that the current
> behavior is broken.  Please could you review the patch?

I think libgccjit should use the same strathegy for finding the install location
like the driver does itself.  I couldn't readily decipher its magic but at least
there's STANDARD_EXEC_PREFIX which seems to be used as possible
fallback.

In particular your patch doesn't seem to work with a DESTDIR=<path>
install?

Can we instead add a --with-gccjit-install-dir= or sth like that (whatever
path to whatever files the JIT exactly looks for)?

Richard.

@ 2021-07-14  5:42         ` Matthias Klose
From: Matthias Klose @ 2021-07-14  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Biener; +Cc: David Malcolm, GCC Patches, jit

On 7/13/21 8:41 AM, Richard Biener wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 11:00 PM Matthias Klose <doko@ubuntu.com> wrote:

>>> the JIT debug log shows the driver names that it wants to call.  Are you sure
>>> that this driver isn't available anywhere?  I configure the gcc build with
>>> --program-suffix=-8 --program-prefix=x86_64-linux-gnu-, and that one was only
>>> available in one place, /usr/bin.
>>>
>>> Matthias
>>
>> David, the bug report now has two more comments from people that the current
>> behavior is broken.  Please could you review the patch?
>
> I think libgccjit should use the same strathegy for finding the install location
> like the driver does itself.  I couldn't readily decipher its magic but at least
> there's STANDARD_EXEC_PREFIX which seems to be used as possible
> fallback.

No, it's crtbeginS.o, and libgcc.* which are are not found in the
STANDARD_EXEC_PREFIX.

> In particular your patch doesn't seem to work with a DESTDIR=<path>
> install?

it does. usually you build as configure && make && make install with a DESTDIR
set for only the last step, which doesn't rebuild any object file.

> Can we instead add a --with-gccjit-install-dir= or sth like that (whatever
> path to whatever files the JIT exactly looks for)?

that should be possible, moving the definition of FALLBACK_GCC_EXEC_PREFIX from
the Makefile to a value specified by a configure value.  Or is there already a
macro, that doesn't get prefixed by DESTDIR?

Matthias