public inbox for jit@gcc.gnu.org
From: David Malcolm <dmalcolm@redhat.com>
To: "Marc Nieper-Wißkirchen" <marc.nieper+gnu@gmail.com>,
	"Marc Nieper-Wißkirchen via Jit" <jit@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: C++ API: Union types are missing
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 09:57:48 -0500	[thread overview]

On Sun, 2022-01-30 at 20:34 +0100, Marc Nieper-Wißkirchen wrote:
> The C++ analog for gcc_jit_context_new_union_type is missing in
> libgccjit++.h.
>
> I can send a patch adding it and anything else I may find missing as
> well.

Yes please; ideally with test coverage.

> Dave, as only one header file is concerned, would a single patch be
> okay? I
> hope it could still make it into GCC 12 as no component outside of the
> file
> would be touched.

It's technically something I ought to ask permission for from the
release managers given that the rest of gcc 12 is in deep feature
freeze, but I think there's a good case for this - especially if the
patch has test coverage (if nothing else, I've found that it's
impossible to gauge how good an API is without writing code to consume
that API).

Please send patches for libgccjit to both the jit mailing list and the
gcc-patches mailing list (and ensure the title has "jit" in it), and
indicate what testing you've done. [1]

Thanks
Dave

[1]
https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/jit/internals/index.html#submitting-patches
has more notes on patches, fwiw (perhaps too much)