public inbox for jit@gcc.gnu.org
* Proposed showcase piece for libGCCJIT: WebAssembly frontend
@ 2023-01-09  3:45 Samuel Crow
From: Samuel Crow @ 2023-01-09  3:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jit

Greetings!

As a contributer to the W2C2 project on GitHub (
https://github.com/turbolent/w2c2 ), I was wondering if a static
compiler that tied in to the LibGCCJIT frontend would be a good idea
for a showcase piece.  If yes, I have an idea for a compilation
algorithm that should make the compilation quite parallelizable.
Currently, the build of W2C2 can output multiple C files from one
WebAssembly module using the WASI standard as a linkage target so that
the functions can parallel build.  I have a plan that can take that a
step farther but I'm not sure if the JIT frontend is best or just a
custom GCC frontend.

I've just joined the mailing list so I'll just leave this as a teaser
for now.  If interested I'll spell it out in greater detail later.

One thing that prompted me to ask is that several of the showcase
pieces on the LibGCCJIT webpage that tried it have since moved on to
other JIT compilers or are no longer available.  I like the idea of
having GCC in a shared object though, even if for no other reason than
to be able to run it as reentrant code.

I'm typing this message from the Beta 4 of Haiku Release 1 and just
love that GCC is used on so many platfroms including this one.

Yours truly,

Samuel D. Crow

only message in thread, other threads:[~2023-01-09  3:45 UTC | newest]