public inbox for kawa@sourceware.org
From: Andrea Bernardini <andrebask@gmail.com>
To: kawa@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: Kawa debugging with Eclipse
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 16:47:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On Wed, 23 Apr 2014 14:19:54 -0400
Matthieu Vachon <matthieu.o.vachon@gmail.com> wrote:

> As for the debugging parts, here two tricks you can use to debug a
> Java program without having the project built with Eclipse directly.
>
> 1. Remote debugging
> 2. Compile using ant
>
> Regards,
> Matt

Thanks for this little guide, It is very useful. Especially the
"Compile using ant" part, it is very easy and allows to use the debugger
also with the internal kawa code.

Moreover I found a way to edit and automatically build kawa code from
eclipse on save:

You need to download the kawa source tree and build it the first time
with configure + make, then:

1. Create a new project, select Java Project from an existing Ant Build
file, than select build.xml in the code folder. This import the code in
Eclipse without coping it in the workspace, so you can edit files
directly and the build.

2. Create an External tools configuration. Run -> External tools ->
External tools configuration... As command, use /usr/bin/make, as
working directory the root of the kawa source tree.

3. Create a builder. Project -> Properties.... then  select the
Builders tab, select import..., then select configuration created at
step 2. Select the newly added builder end click edit... In Build
Options tab, check the During auto builds box.

At this point, when you edit a file in kawa and save, eclipse calls
make, and kawa.jar is built.

So you can configure a new project with the step 2 in Matthieu's guide
(Compile using ant) and put that kawa.jar in the classpath.

Thank you all for the tips.

--
Andrea Bernardini
Engineering Of Computing Systems student