public inbox for kawa@sourceware.org
* Most Kawa-compatible licensing scheme for a new project?
@ 2020-01-31 14:44 spellcard199
From: spellcard199 @ 2020-01-31 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kawa

Hello. I'm writing to ask an advice about the licensing scheme for a
new project in which I may include code copied from Kawa and then
modified by me.

I can only imagine 2 scenarios, but I don't know :
- if my understanding about the 2 scenarios is correct
- if there are other choices besides them

Scenario 1:
1. I distribute my project under the MIT - Expat license
2. Since I've choosen the MIT license, I can't include code
   that I have modified after having copied it from Kawa

Scenario 2:
1. I distribute my project under the GPL license
2. Since I have choosen the GPL, I can include in my project
   code that I have taken and modified from Kawa
3. Let's say that someone in the Kawa team at that point wants to
   copy->paste->modify some code from my project into Kawa: since Kawa
   is also MIT licensed, would the fact I used the GPL forbid this?

I'm asking because I'm trying to write a java project to support
interactive development in Kawa (porting my own `geiser-kawa'
from scheme to java atm) and, in the remote case it's decent,
some functions may happen to be reusable in the Kawa Language Server.

So my question is: what's the most Kawa-compatible licensing scheme
that allows both of the following?
- Code from Kawa to be copied->pasted->modified into my project
- Code from my project to be copied->pasted->modified into Kawa

Thank you in advance for the attention.

* Re: Most Kawa-compatible licensing scheme for a new project?
@ 2020-01-31 15:20 ` Per Bothner
From: Per Bothner @ 2020-01-31 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spellcard199, kawa

On 1/31/20 6:44 AM, spellcard199 wrote:

> Scenario 1:
> 1. I distribute my project under the MIT - Expat license
> 2. Since I've choosen the MIT license, I can't include code
>     that I have modified after having copied it from Kawa

Why not?
--
	--Per Bothner

* Re: Most Kawa-compatible licensing scheme for a new project?
@ 2020-01-31 16:48   ` spellcard199
From: spellcard199 @ 2020-01-31 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Per Bothner; +Cc: kawa

Sorry, my bad. I should have read
https://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/Software-License.html
before sending the mail.

Some days ago I read some comment online I can't find anymore which
said Kawa had this double MIT/GPL license where you could pick the MIT
one only if you didn't make any changes to the code and I took it for
good without checking. Now I see those modules are not part of the
standard distribution anymore.

Thank you.