public inbox for kawa@sourceware.org
* kawa-3.1.1 released
@ 2020-01-16 21:19 Per Bothner
From: Per Bothner @ 2020-01-16 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kawa

Kawa 3.1.1 is now available.

No real new features since 3.1 but I fixed various packaging bugs (including
the missing kawa shell script in the zip binary distribution).
I also fixed some problems using the --browse-manual option,
which now defaults to creating a JavaFX window (when JavaFX is available).

https://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/news.html

The release is available from the usual places:

ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/kawa/kawa-3.1.1.tar.gz (Source release)
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/kawa/kawa-3.1.1.zip (Binary release)

https://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/index.html (Home page and general documentation)
--
	--Per Bothner

* Re: kawa-3.1.1 released
@ 2020-01-16 21:22 ` ian
From: ian @ 2020-01-16 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kawa

Hi,

OK Per, I'll check this ASAP.

And, yes, I experienced problems trying to use the browse-manual....

FYI I'm currently on an old i386 under Buster GNU/Linux.

Keep you informed.

Kindly Regards.

ian

--
-- ian@sibian.fr
-- Développeur compulsif

* Re: kawa-3.1.1 released
@ 2020-01-17  3:29   ` Duncan Mak
From: Duncan Mak @ 2020-01-17  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have submitted a PR to update Homebrew to include Kawa 3.1.1:

https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/pull/49108

Duncan.

--
Duncan.

* Re: kawa-3.1.1 released
@ 2020-01-17  3:33     ` Duncan Mak
From: Duncan Mak @ 2020-01-17  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ahh, I just checked, I can look into updating the PR to fix the follow
issue this weekend:

As a follow up, I can make a patch later on to fix this:

$  kawa --browse-manual=javafx
kawa: --browse-manual=javafx failed:
/usr/local/Cellar/kawa/3.1.1/libexec/doc/kawa-manual.epub does not
exist

Duncan.

--
Duncan.

* Re: kawa-3.1.1 released
@ 2020-01-17  6:34       ` Per Bothner
From: Per Bothner @ 2020-01-17  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/16/20 7:32 PM, Duncan Mak wrote:
> Ahh, I just checked, I can look into updating the PR to fix the follow
> issue this weekend:
>
> As a follow up, I can make a patch later on to fix this:
>
> $  kawa --browse-manual=javafx
> kawa: --browse-manual=javafx failed:
> /usr/local/Cellar/kawa/3.1.1/libexec/doc/kawa-manual.epub does not
> exist

I'm not sure whether you mean this is a bug in kawa 3.1.1 (as
released) or in how Homebrew installs it?

There are multiple ways one could "install" Kawa.  One specific
way that I intend to support is that you could just unzip kawa-VERSION.zip
into a location, optionally and then set up a bunch of symlinks.  For example:

cd /usr/local/Cellar
unzip kawa-VERSION.zip
# Optionally: mkdir -p kawa && mv kawa-VERSION to kawa/VERSION
cd /path-to-homebew-bin/ && ln -s /usr/local/Cellar/kawa-VERSION/bin/kawa kawa
--
	--Per Bothner

* Re: kawa-3.1.1 released
@ 2020-01-17 18:31         ` Duncan Mak
       [not found]           ` <CABgWrqoT2yHUWcDcJ3fSixH9QUcgOCDkUPLBZEcA6NajN2mo-w@mail.gmail.com>
From: Duncan Mak @ 2020-01-17 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 1:33 AM Per Bothner <per@bothner.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure whether you mean this is a bug in kawa 3.1.1 (as
> released) or in how Homebrew installs it?
>
> There are multiple ways one could "install" Kawa.  One specific
> way that I intend to support is that you could just unzip kawa-VERSION.zip
> into a location, optionally and then set up a bunch of symlinks.  For example:
>
> cd /usr/local/Cellar
> unzip kawa-VERSION.zip
> # Optionally: mkdir -p kawa && mv kawa-VERSION to kawa/VERSION
> cd /path-to-homebew-bin/ && ln -s /usr/local/Cellar/kawa-VERSION/bin/kawa kawa

The bug is in my PR, which is what Homebrew calls the Formula. I don't
think the bug is in kawa 3.1.1.

My PR with just the version bump has just been accepted.

I'll try to send another PR to Homebrew to properly copy the doc
directory with the epub file to the right place so that the
browse-manual feature would work.

Thanks!

--
Duncan.

* Re: kawa-3.1.1 released
       [not found]           ` <CABgWrqoT2yHUWcDcJ3fSixH9QUcgOCDkUPLBZEcA6NajN2mo-w@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2020-01-18  0:33             ` Per Bothner
From: Per Bothner @ 2020-01-18  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/17/20 4:12 PM, Duncan Mak wrote:
> I added the missing symlink on my local machine as a test, and running using Java 1.8 (which comes with JavaFX bundled), a window shows up when I run with --browse-manual=javafx.

I would not be terribly surprised if it is related to the incompatible readlink
command in the doc/browse-kanwa-manual script.

First thing to try is to run the script by hand.
The following works when I try it "by hand" in the Kawa build directory,

     java kawa.repl doc/browse-kawa-manual

and the following works with the unzip'd release zip:

     bin/kawa doc/browse-kawa-manual

as does running browse-kawa-manual as a shell script:

     doc/browse-kawa-manual

So see if you can get any of those to work.
If you can get it working just treating browse-kawa-manual as a Scheme source file,
but running it as a shell script doesn't work, then it is likely
the shell portion of browse-kawa-manual has some Linux dependencies
(possibly the readlink) or bash-isms.
--
	--Per Bothner

* Re: kawa-3.1.1 released
@ 2020-02-28 21:22     ` Lassi Kortela
From: Lassi Kortela @ 2020-02-28 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I have submitted a PR to update Homebrew to include Kawa 3.1.1:
>
> https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/pull/49108

Late to the party, but Docker is now at 3.1.1 as well:

$ docker run -it weinholt/kawa
Kawa 3.1.1 (git describe: 3.1.1-0-gc47de33ad)

$ docker run -it weinholt/kawa bash
root@17701d793a31:/# kawa --version
Kawa 3.1.1 (git describe: 3.1.1-0-gc47de33ad)