public inbox for kawa@sourceware.org
* emacs CEDET auto-complete
@ 2013-04-17  9:13 Chuah Teong Leong
From: Chuah Teong Leong @ 2013-04-17  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kawa

Hi,
I am trying to setup emacs for programming in kawa.
Specifically I would like jump to definition and auto-complete
functionality within emacs.
CEDET seemed to be the way to go so it would be helpful if anyone can
verify that cedet works with kawa or at least scheme.

How do emacs users code when using kawa in general? I've just started
picking up emacs and I started with gnu emacs.

* Re: emacs CEDET auto-complete
@ 2013-04-17 15:02 ` Jamison Hope
From: Jamison Hope @ 2013-04-17 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kawa@sourceware.org list

Hello,

On Apr 17, 2013, at 5:13 AM, Chuah Teong Leong <teongleong@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am trying to setup emacs for programming in kawa.
> Specifically I would like jump to definition and auto-complete
> functionality within emacs.
> CEDET seemed to be the way to go so it would be helpful if anyone can
> verify that cedet works with kawa or at least scheme.

I have never tried CEDET, so I can't help you there.  I have
successfully run kawa as an inferior process with slime and
xscheme, though, so that can work, at least.  Helmut, who
posts here occasionally, wrote the kawa interface to slime, so
he can probably tell you all about it.  I tried it, saw that
it worked (if I increased the Java stack size a bit), and then
promptly went back to whatever I was doing at the time.

> How do emacs users code when using kawa in general? I've just started
> picking up emacs and I started with gnu emacs.

While I do occasionally run kawa from within emacs, I usually
don't.  More often, I'm either writing a kawa module that I
intend to compile and call from Java, or I'm writing a kawa
script that launches a GUI.  In the former case, I'll edit the
file and then rebuild my entire project from a terminal, and
in the latter case I'll edit the file and then rerun the script,
again from a terminal.

(I'm sure I'll have to give up my Emacs Weenie card for
acknowledging that my host operating system is more than an
Emacs bootloader.)

As far as editing Scheme source code, check out paredit-mode.
It's occasionally annoying, but very nice for keeping your
parens balanced.

OK now everybody else who uses Emacs can chime in.

-Jamie

--
Jamison Hope
The PTR Group

* Re: emacs CEDET auto-complete
@ 2013-04-17 18:40 ` Per Bothner
From: Per Bothner @ 2013-04-17 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chuah Teong Leong; +Cc: kawa

On 04/17/2013 02:13 AM, Chuah Teong Leong wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to setup emacs for programming in kawa.
> Specifically I would like jump to definition and auto-complete
> functionality within emacs.
> CEDET seemed to be the way to go so it would be helpful if anyone can
> verify that cedet works with kawa or at least scheme.

What looks like a big hurdle when using CEDET is that it
assumes a separate parser/analyzer using the Semantic tool.
I don't see how this can reliably work for a language with macros.
like Scheme.  I like what NetBeans does, in that it actually
uses javac to do the parsing and semantic analysis (at least
as far as I understand it).

Perhaps it is possible to hook up Semantic so it communicates
with an inferior Kawa process?

To me, perhaps the most important feature of an IDE is that
given a variable I can "go to definition" and given a
definition I can "show usages".  Doing this reliably means
you need to hook into the language's macro expander.  Otherwise
I might as well use grep.
--
	--Per Bothner

* Re: emacs CEDET auto-complete
@ 2013-04-18  2:42   ` Chuah Teong Leong
From: Chuah Teong Leong @ 2013-04-18  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kawa

Thanks Per and Jamison for your inputs.

@ 2013-04-19 23:05   ` Per Bothner
From: Per Bothner @ 2013-04-19 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chuah Teong Leong; +Cc: kawa

On 04/17/2013 11:40 AM, Per Bothner wrote:
> What looks like a big hurdle when using CEDET is that it
> assumes a separate parser/analyzer using the Semantic tool.

http://cedet.sourceforge.net/addlang.shtml does say:

   You can also pull in an external tool like Exuberant CTags to parse
   your files. This can be handy to bootstrap support for your language.
   External parsing tools often have issues where the actual extents of
   the TAG in your buffer is unknown. They also have problems in that
   the buffer must be saved before they can work.

(NetBeans avoids the unsaved-buffers problems by giving the compiler
access to the buffer.  That is easier when they're in the same
Java process, but otherwise sockets or temporary files could be used.)

Regardless, better tool support for Kawa would be very nice.
I think it would be better someone other than me do the
heavy lifting.  However, if that someone needs extra support
from Kawa (like a symbol table dumper) I'll be happy to help.

I also very interested in helping if someone wants to
warn on NetBeans integration - that would probably
help more people.
--
	--Per Bothner