public inbox for kawa@sourceware.org
From: Per Bothner <per@bothner.com>
To: Jamison Hope <jrh@theptrgroup.com>,
	 "kawa@sourceware.org list" <kawa@sourceware.org>
Subject: Re: strange int->boolean behavior
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 23:06:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 12/18/2014 10:19 AM, Jamison Hope wrote:
> Sometimes, a primitive 0 is false:
>
> #|kawa:1|# (->boolean (->int 3))
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.Error: unsupported CodeAttr.emitConvert
> 	at gnu.bytecode.CodeAttr.emitConvert(CodeAttr.java:2006)
> 	[...]
>
> #|kawa:1|# (if (->int 3) "YES" "NO")
> YES
> #|kawa:2|# (if (->int 0) "YES" "NO")
> YES
> #|kawa:3|# (define (f x::int) ::string (if x "YES" "NO"))
> #|kawa:4|# (f 3)
> YES
> #|kawa:5|# (f 0)
> NO
> #|kawa:6|# (disassemble f)
> In class atInteractiveLevel$3
>
> Method name:"f" public static Signature: (int)java.lang.CharSequence
> Attribute "Code", length:70, max_stack:1, max_locals:1, code_length:14
>    0: iload_0
>    1: ifeq 10
>    4: getstatic <Field atInteractiveLevel$3.Lit0 java.lang.String>
>    7: goto 13
>   10: getstatic <Field atInteractiveLevel$3.Lit1 java.lang.String>
>   13: areturn
>
> I get similar results with the other primitive types.  If I'm following things correctly,
>it's ConditionalTarget#compileFromStack which is treating zero as false?

Yes. I checked in a fix for this.  The change in ConditionalTarget depends on the language;
specifically whether language.isTrue(Integer.valueOf(0)).  If so, we an just
emitGoto the true label.

I forgot about or overlooking this message, but found it while searching for
another discussion (which turn out to be "proposed changes to handling of false
and end-of-list").

(I'm looking into doing at least part of that previous proposal - specifically
treating #!null as false.)
--
	--Per Bothner