public inbox for kawa@sourceware.org
From: Per Bothner <per@bothner.com>
To: kawa@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: Kawa future and governance
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2020 10:53:37 -0800	[thread overview]

On 11/14/20 10:11 AM, Helmut Eller via Kawa wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 09 2020, Per Bothner wrote:
>
>> I can see my role becoming a Benevolent Dictator For Life (like van
>> Rossum's role in Python), but ideally getting less dictatorial as others
>> gain experience.
>
> Apparently you have the copyright on most of Kawa's code.

Yep - because I wrote most of it.

> Would contributors have to assign copyrights if they change something?

I have not required copyright assignments.  My informal policy is if a file is
substantially the work of one person, only that person is credited with
a copyright note in the file.  If multiple people have contributed substantially
(say 20%) they should be listed too.  A change/fix of a few lines does not
get copyright credit.

But this is more about openness and giving credit where due.  Legally what
matters is the license.  All contributions must be compatible with the
appropriate license.  New files must be compatible with the overall (software or
documentation) license, and changes to existing files must preserve the license
of the file (unless those listed in the copyright agree).
--
	--Per Bothner