public inbox for kawa@sourceware.org
From: Vasantha Ganesh <vasanthaganesh.k@gmail.com>
To: kawa@sourceware.org
Cc: Per Bothner <per@bothner.com>
Subject: Question, GSoC Idea `Easier Access to Native Libraries using JNA/JNR"
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2017 11:07:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Hello all,
  I have been trying to write a proposal for ``Easier Access to Native
Libraries using JNA/JNR" idea for my GSoC project.

The access to native libraries is available through popular libraries
such as JNA and JNR. Access to native libraries in Kawa is just like
any other Java library in a very consistent way (strengths of Kawa?).

I tried looking into the Ruby wrappers. JRuby is trying to make their
FFI API compliant with other implementations. So that Code on JRuby
can run in the same way as other Ruby implementations.

Common lisp is trying to do something similar with CFFI. Common lisp
implementations are trying to make their code that can run on other
implementations in the same way. This calls for a common API (CFFI).

But in scheme we are not trying to be compliant with any other Scheme
implementations. Take Guile and Kawa for example. Guile code does not
necessarily run on Kawa. Also, Guile has its own FFI.

These are just my views. I would like to know the motivation of this
project because I'm fuzzy about the usefulness of this project.

It might be a little late to write proposal for other ideas.

Thank you.
Vasantha Ganesh K.