I have a small update. I found that Android has replaced its dx tool with another tool called d8. I managed to plug it into my build script, and my findings are the following: - the .jar with Kawa version 1.13 still builds correctly - when I try the latest Kawa built with javac --release 8 or --release 9, the d8 complains: Error: Field name '1+' cannot be represented in dex format. I tried fixing that by renaming this function as add1 in the gnu/commonlisp/lisp/primitives.lisp. Actually, there were several other issues in that file (and it would probably be easier to be able to compile Kawa without CommonLisp). However, even after fixing that, I get another error: Error: Field name '\=android\,view\,View' cannot be represented in dex format. I really don't know how to overcome that one (IIRC Kawa 1.13 used $Dt as a replacement for a dot)