public inbox for kawa@sourceware.org
* Kawa evaluation process
@ 2022-06-28  4:54 Panicz Maciej Godek
From: Panicz Maciej Godek @ 2022-06-28  4:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kawa

Hi,

as I mentioned before, I'm working on a structure editor for Scheme.
One challange that I've been facing is to represent atoms (other than
vectors and strings).

The problem with atoms, though, is that they can be of different types -
for example, the atom represented by "x" is a symbol, but if I add the
character ":" at the end, it becomes a keyword. Or the atom represented by
"1" is  an exact number, but if I add some non-numeric character, it
becomes something else.

Moreover, some values have more than one print representation - for
example, number 1 can be represented as "1", "#x1", "#o1" etc.

So I've been wondering if there's an option to create a "box" that would be
transparent to the process of evaluation (possibly with some tweaks to
Kawa): that I would have an object that holds a string and a value, and
when the evaluator asks it for the value, it would provide whatever value
would result from parsing the string?

(my current "solution" to this problem is that I only support symbols, but
my project reached the stage where this is no longer an option)