Ok, I understand what was my problem. In the `bin/` folder I had a directory named `tmp`. This was collapsing with target that was trying to create a tmp file with name `tmp`. Since I had the directory, make was not happy. I don't know where the `tmp` folder was coming from tough. I attached a patch that now use a more specific tmp file instead of `tmp`. Feel free to include it or not since there is no real bug in the Makefile. Regards, Matt On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 3:53 PM, Per Bothner wrote: > On 09/20/2013 11:51 AM, Matthieu Vachon wrote: >> >> When arriving at this Makefile, the build failed saying that `tmp` is >> a folder and cannot be written to. This problem comes from this line >> in the Makefile (there is more that one instance): >> >> echo '#!/bin/sh' >tmp >> ... >> >> What would be the right fix for this problem? > > > The testsuite mostly uses names that *start* with tmp, > such as tmp.out or tmp-knucleotide1.log. > > Using the tmp.xxx form is compatible with the mktemp > command, but it is conceivable some filesystems (like FAT) > would have problems (but they would probably have problems > regardless), so perhaps the tmp-xxx form is preferable. > > So for gckawa instead of tmp maybe use tmp-gckawa. > > The CLEANFILES macro would need to be updated, > presumably to tmp-*. > -- > --Per Bothner > per@bothner.com http://per.bothner.com/