public inbox for kawa@sourceware.org
* maven-like tooling for kawa
@ 2020-08-22 20:45 Arvydas Silanskas
From: Arvydas Silanskas @ 2020-08-22 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Good evening,

I guess no need for an introduction about what maven is, and why people in
the jvm world use it. I feel currently, kawa is missing an equivalent to
it. Sure, maven could be used now for getting ahold of java
dependencies' jars (using dependency:copy-dependencies), however what about
other niceties, such as

* running scheme files while including those dependency jars on classpath
* packaging (compiling scheme files first before bundling it all together)
* testing (automatically discovering and running scheme test files in some
known directory, what in java is src/testing/java)
* expanding dependencies gathering not only for java libs, but r7rs scheme
libs too (particularly thinking about snow), with configuration managed in
uniform or at least similar manner

I have a public facing example project of tackling these points using
combination of ant and maven at
https://github.com/arvyy/libGDX-Kawa-Starter
<https://github.com/arvyy/libGDX-Kawa-Starter/blob/master/build.xml> ,
however I'm not entirely happy with this, and I'd find a kawa-specialized
tool a cleaner approach.

Have you discussed a topic of maven-like tooling for kawa? Any general
thoughts -- ranging from general functionality to how the configuration
would look? I plan having a go at prototyping such tool, and before I start
I though gathering some thoughts about it.

Regards,
Arvydas

only message in thread, other threads:[~2020-08-22 20:45 UTC | newest]