public inbox for kawa@sourceware.org
From: spellcard199 <spellcard199@protonmail.com>
To: Phil Eaton <phil@eatonphil.com>
Subject: Re: Receiver class does not define or inherit an implementation of the resolved method
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2021 10:59:06 +0000	[thread overview]

Hello.

> For what it's worth this kind of redefinition of the same method
worked for me in ABCL lisp. So I know it's definitely possible to
express in Java.

I know nothing about ABCL so I trust you on the fact ABCL handles
this differently from Kawa, but I don't think in Java you do it.

If I try to write the following class in plain Java...

  public class Main {
          Main main = new Main();
          System.out.println(main.apply("x"));
      }
      public java.lang.CharSequence apply(String s) {
          return s.concat(s);
      }
      public java.lang.Object apply(String s) {
          return s.concat(s).concat(s);

... it gives a compile time error:

  apply(String) is already defined in 'Main'

And the same thing happens when the methods are static.

I suppose in plain Java you can't have more than one method with both
the same:
- name
- input types

I remember being confused by this the first time I saw it, but in
hindsight it makes sense: if there were 2 methods with the same name
and input types, how could Java know which one should be called when
applied to arguments?

So my question is: does ABCL really let you have both methods at the
same time or just the lastly defined one?