public inbox for kawa@sourceware.org
From: Per Bothner <per@bothner.com>
To: Peter Lane <peter@peterlane.info>, kawa@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: [ANN] Some R7RS libraries
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 17:21:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 04/10/2017 07:07 AM, Peter Lane wrote:
> Recently I have been writing and repackaging a variety of Scheme libraries to work on R7RS implementations.  The collection is a work in progress, but is currently tested on Chibi, Kawa and
> Larceny: with some exceptions, the included examples and tests work on all three implementations.

Cool.  Thanks!

Perhaps it would make sense to add SRFI-27 to Kawa itself.

You write: "Kawa uses the colon in symbol names specially to refer to Java method calls."
That's not quite right.  See https://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/Colon-notation.html

Kawa does have a "recovery" hack for identifiers with colons:

#|kawa:1|# (define foo:bar 12)
#|kawa:2|# foo:bar
12
#|kawa:3|# (define (foo:baz x) (list x foo:bar))
#|kawa:4|# (foo:baz 3)
(3 12)

To make this more robust, you can define foo as a namespace:
(define-namespace foo "foo-namespace")

Have you tested your library with the 'invoke' git branch?
That would be valuable, as the invoke branch will become Kawa 3.x
this year (the plan is to do so before JDK 9 is released).
There are a number of incompatible changes, most notably that by
default Kawa will follow SRFI-140, so most string procedures
will return immutable strings.
--
	--Per Bothner