public inbox for libabigail@sourceware.org
* abidiff: Added/Deleted/Changed markers
@ 2020-01-01  0:00 Giuliano Procida via libabigail
From: Giuliano Procida via libabigail @ 2020-01-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dodji Seketeli, Matthias Männich; +Cc: libabigail

Added/Deleted/Changed markers appear in abidiff output under various
circumstances.

In --leaf-changes-only mode, "[A]", "[D]", "[C]" appear
unconditionally to prefix each of the changes (and notably, this is
what we see when doing kernel ABI diffs). In normal mode, they only
appear if there are more than 100 changes in the given section.

"[C]" is also not always followed by a space character.

The markers are redundant in that they can be determined from their
context. They would be most useful if doing something like
line-by-line processing of abidiff output, but they are not always
emitted so that's not happening.

I'd like to do one of two things to make abidiff output more
consistent and predictable. Either option will require the scripted
adjustment of test cases. It's straightforward (I've already done it).

1. Emit them unconditionally, always followed by a space character.
2. Remove them altogether.

What option would be best? I don't have strong opinions here.

Giuliano.