From: Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu>
To: Max Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com>, libc-alpha@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: mktime result may depend on previous calls
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 20:34:06 -0800	[thread overview]

On 1/18/23 19:00, Max Nikulin via Libc-alpha wrote:

> Paul, thank you for clarification. Should some note be added to the docs?

The actual behavior is reasonably complicated. As a time nerd I'm
probably the wrong person to ask about whether it should be documented.

> ---- >8 ----
> Notice that in the case of ambiguous local time (around a transition
> with backward step) multiple mktime calls with the same argument may
> return both values. Such kind of uncertainty appears if tm_isdst is set
> to -1 or if local time changes keeping the same DST state.
> ---- 8< ----

The above wording isn't quite right, as it ignores the role of tm_gmtoff
in mktime. (Did I say it was complicated? :-)

> It even might be used as a non-portable way of disambiguation: just add
> an extra call of mktime well aside from the backward time step. Too
> weird to use it in practice though. Unfortunately POSIX does not allow
> anything like
>
> https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0495/
> PEP 495 – Local Time Disambiguation (Python)

POSIX does allow that sort of thing as an extension, and glibc mktime
does so: it disambiguates via tm_gmtoff.