* History of ellipsis in charmap and locale specifications?
@ 2020-05-01 13:51 Carlos O'Donell
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2020-05-01 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-alpha, Mike Fabian, Rafal Luzynski

Mike, Rafal,

Historically charmaps and locales support different kinds of ellipsis
expansion including:
"....(2)....",
"....",
"...",
"..(2)..",
and "..".

POSIX seems to define only "..." for charmaps and locales.

Do we know where the rest of these came from?

I could reverse engineer what the code does for them, but in some cases
it's kind of odd what they do and in some cases they are aliases for
eachother.

--
Cheers,
Carlos.

* Re: History of ellipsis in charmap and locale specifications?
@ 2020-05-04 21:43 ` Rafal Luzynski
From: Rafal Luzynski @ 2020-05-04 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos O'Donell, libc-alpha, Mike Fabian

Carlos,

1.05.2020 15:51 Carlos O'Donell <carlos@redhat.com> wrote:

> Mike, Rafal,
>
> Historically charmaps and locales support different kinds of ellipsis
> expansion including:
> "....(2)....",
> "....",
> "...",
> "..(2)..",
> and "..".
>
> POSIX seems to define only "..." for charmaps and locales.
>
> Do we know where the rest of these came from?
>
> I could reverse engineer what the code does for them, but in some cases
> it's kind of odd what they do and in some cases they are aliases for
> eachother.

I think I have not touched this code so I'm not sure I can help you.
Just in case, which files are you talking about?

Regards,

Rafal