* Re: PPC64 libmvec sincos/sincosf ABI
@ 2019-08-06 17:42 Wilco Dijkstra
From: Wilco Dijkstra @ 2019-08-06 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'GNU C Library', tnggil, Joseph Myers; +Cc: nd

Hi,

> 1. What is the best vector ABI (best performance) for sincos on PPC64?
> That may be a function of the particular vector instructions available on
> PPC64; the best choice of ABI on PPC64 need not correspond to the best
> choice on x86_64.

I don't think it is related to the target - the fastest ABI is one that avoids
unnecessary work. For example scalar sincos is slow due to the inefficient
ABI which forces the results through memory (fixing that gives a 50% speedup).

Similarly for the vector ABI I think returning 2 vectors in registers will be the
fastest option in all cases. The actual vector instructions shouldn't affect the
ABI beyond the vector widths that can be supported.

Wilco

* PPC64 libmvec sincos/sincosf ABI
@ 2019-08-01 13:01 GT
From: GT @ 2019-08-01 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-alpha\@sourceware.org

I believe PPC64 needs to implement functions analogous to x86_64 _ZGVbN4vvv_sincosf, _ZGVbN4vl4l4_sincosf, _ZGVbN2vvv_sincos, _ZGVbN2vl8l8_sincos.

The function signatures of scalar sincosf and sincos are:

sincosf (float, float *, float *)
sincos (double, double *, double *)

How do I determine the vector function signatures in C, of the 4 vector functions referenced at the top of this message?

Thanks.
Bert.