* Re: Trying Debian/armhf rebootstrap with time64
       [not found] ` <20200311153651.12a6e93b@jawa>
@ 2020-03-12 16:02   ` Arnd Bergmann
From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2020-03-12 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lukasz Majewski
  Cc: y2038 Mailman List, GNU C Library, debian-arm, Helmut Grohne, Jan Kiszka

[some mailing lists appear to have classified the earlier mail as spam,
 it was quite long and contained a lot of links. See
 https://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2020/03/msg00032.html for the
 start of the thread if you did not get that]

On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 3:37 PM Lukasz Majewski <lukma@denx.de> wrote:
> >   - stat()/fstat()/lstat(), nanosleep(), wait3()/wait4(), ppoll_chk()
> >     are some of the other interfaces that take a time_t based
> >     argument and need to grow a time64 version to avoid an ABI
> > mismatch.
>
> The stat() and friends will use statx internally, which supports 64 bit
> time from the outset.
> Unfortunately, it hasn't been yet converted.
>
> As statx was added in 4.1 (IIRC) - after the minimal supported Linux
> kernel version is bumped to this version (from 3.2 as now) it all will
> be fixed.

The problem I had with these was not on the kernel API side (I
still have CONFIG_COMPAT_32BIT_TIME enabled for now) but
on the application side. In particular, the 'struct stat' definition
(when __USE_XOPEN2K8 is defined) contains

         struct timespec st_atim;

and similar fields that are interpreted using 64-bit time_t in the
application including the header, but with 32-bit time_t inside of
the ___fxstat64() implementation in glibc. The problem is caused
by the mismatched ABI, not by the time_t overflow, in the same
way that happens in the nptl library callers and in the other interfaces
I mentioned.
This is also what seems to cause most of the testcase failures
when the tests are built with __TIME_BITS=64.

> >   - The timeval prototype appears to be broken, as it's missing
> >     padding on architectures without native alignment of __time64
> >     (e.g. i386) and on all big-endian architectures.
> >

> You mean the one "exported" to the system or one, which is internal to
> glibc (from ./include/time.h)?

I mean in the installed headers, where I get (after preprocessing)

typedef long long __time64_t;
typedef long __suseconds_t;
struct timeval
{
  __time64_t tv_sec;
  __suseconds_t tv_usec;
};

On i386 and m68k, this leads to a 12 byte structure when the kernel
interfaces expect a 16 byte structure. All other 32-bit architectures add
four byte padding at the end, so the size is correct, but on big-endian
systems, kernel also expects padding *before* tv_usec, in the same
way as the timespec definition does. IIRC the best way to handle this
is with a 64-bit suseconds_t, e.g.  by adding a __suseconds64_t
defined the same way as __time64_t.

> > I have spent more time on this now than I had planned, and don't
> > expect to do further work on it anytime soon, but I hope my summary
> > is useful to others that are going to need this later.  I can
> > obviously share my patches and build artifacts if anyone needs them.
>
> Could you upload them to any server? (kernel.org or github)?

I have uploaded the modified debian-glibc and rebootstrap
sources to https://git.linaro.org/people/arnd/ now, this should
be all that's needed to recreate the build, using these steps:

- build an x86-64 debian glibc-2.31 package (binary plus source)
  based on the glibc package data
- create a pbuilder instance with that available as a source to apt
- log into the pbuilder and run the modified bootstrap.sh according
  to information on the pbuilder web page.

The binary packages I created are not as useful, as they would
not work with any build of glibc, neither the version I built, nor
any fixed one. I could find a way to send that to you in private,
but it's hundreds of megabytes.

Unfortunately I lost the build logs during a crash yesterday.

> > There are two additional approaches that would likely get a Debian
> > bootstrap further, but that I have not tried as they were previously
> > dismissed:
> >
> > * Adding a time64 armhf as a separate (incompatible) target in glibc
> >   that defines __TIMESIZE==64 and a 64-bit __time_t would avoid
> >   most of the remaining ABI issues and put armhf-time64 in the same
> >   category as riscv32 and arc, but this idea was so far rejected by
> > the glibc maintainers.
>
> As fair as I know riscv32 and arc will use generic syscall interface.
> The arm32 bit doesn't support it - so the code from those two
> aforementioned ports will not be used.

The differences between the generic syscall interface and the arm
version are much smaller than ABI differences between the ABIs
for 32-bit __time_t and the __time_t == __time64_t version.

In particular, as such a new port could mandate a minimum kernel
of v5.1, it could just use all the time64 syscalls, the split sysvipc
and statx as a baseline.

      Arnd

* Re: [Y2038] Trying Debian/armhf rebootstrap with time64
       [not found]       ` <CAK8P3a14=JZfOz26utwFd4P2Fj7EkCZUsQXfr=Vz+bth_G0QeQ@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2020-03-19 22:49         ` Ben Hutchings
From: Ben Hutchings @ 2020-03-19 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnd Bergmann, Rich Felker
  Cc: Riku Voipio, GNU C Library, y2038 Mailman List, Helmut Grohne,
	Lukasz Majewski, tcwg, debian-arm, Wookey, Jan Kiszka,
	Adhemerval Zanella, Steve McIntyre

On Mon, 2020-03-16 at 16:02 +0100, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 3:47 PM Rich Felker <dalias@libc.org> wrote:
>
> > libtirpc is the replacement. I wasn't aware if uses libc-provided rpc
> > headers (presumably only if they exist, since folks are using it fine
> > on musl) but even if so I think the types will automatically update
> > when time_t changes. Of course that leaves the libtirpc ABI dependent
> > on which time_t is used.
>
> Ok, makes sense. I suppose it just provides a header with the same
> name then.

* nfs-utils build-depends on libtirpc-dev, and isn't using the glibc
SunRPC headers except for <rpc/netdb.h>.  libtirpc's <rpc/rpcent.h>
specifically avoids declaring things that are also declared in glibc's
<rpc/netdb.h>.

* ntirpc is a different port of the SunRPC code, used by nfs-ganesha.

* nis and nfswatch really are using the glibc SunRPC headers.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings, Software Developer                         Codethink Ltd
https://www.codethink.co.uk/                 Dale House, 35 Dale Street

* Re: [Y2038] Trying Debian/armhf rebootstrap with time64
@ 2020-03-19 23:09           ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2020-03-19 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Hutchings
  Cc: Arnd Bergmann, Rich Felker, Riku Voipio, GNU C Library,
	y2038 Mailman List, Helmut Grohne, tcwg, debian-arm, Wookey,
	Jan Kiszka, Steve McIntyre

* Ben Hutchings:

> On Mon, 2020-03-16 at 16:02 +0100, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 3:47 PM Rich Felker <dalias@libc.org> wrote:
>>
>> > libtirpc is the replacement. I wasn't aware if uses libc-provided rpc
>> > headers (presumably only if they exist, since folks are using it fine
>> > on musl) but even if so I think the types will automatically update
>> > when time_t changes. Of course that leaves the libtirpc ABI dependent
>> > on which time_t is used.
>>
>> Ok, makes sense. I suppose it just provides a header with the same
>> name then.
>
> * nfs-utils build-depends on libtirpc-dev, and isn't using the glibc
> SunRPC headers except for <rpc/netdb.h>.  libtirpc's <rpc/rpcent.h>
> specifically avoids declaring things that are also declared in glibc's
> <rpc/netdb.h>.
>
> * ntirpc is a different port of the SunRPC code, used by nfs-ganesha.
>
> * nis and nfswatch really are using the glibc SunRPC headers.

Which part of NIS?  There's a new upstream for libnsl
<https://github.com/thkukuk/libnsl> and the NSS module
<https://github.com/thkukuk/libnss_nis>.  (There is a nisplus module
as well.)

All these use libtirpc and support IPv6 in addition to IPv4.  As far
as I know, it is possible to build a full NIS stack without relying on
any of the legacy glibc code.

(I don't know about nfswatch.)

* Re: [Y2038] Trying Debian/armhf rebootstrap with time64
@ 2020-03-20 20:54             ` Ben Hutchings
From: Ben Hutchings @ 2020-03-20 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Weimer
  Cc: Arnd Bergmann, Rich Felker, Riku Voipio, GNU C Library,

On Fri, 2020-03-20 at 00:09 +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Ben Hutchings:

> > > Ok, makes sense. I suppose it just provides a header with the same
> > > name then.
> >
> > * nfs-utils build-depends on libtirpc-dev, and isn't using the glibc
> > SunRPC headers except for <rpc/netdb.h>.  libtirpc's <rpc/rpcent.h>
> > specifically avoids declaring things that are also declared in glibc's
> > <rpc/netdb.h>.
> >
> > * ntirpc is a different port of the SunRPC code, used by nfs-ganesha.
> >
> > * nis and nfswatch really are using the glibc SunRPC headers.
>
> Which part of NIS?  There's a new upstream for libnsl
> <https://github.com/thkukuk/libnsl> and the NSS module
> <https://github.com/thkukuk/libnss_nis>;.  (There is a nisplus module
> as well.)

This is Debian's "nis" source package, which is a bundle of yp-tools,
ypserv, and ypbind-mt from the same upstream author.  It's unmaintained
and has lots of bug reports in Debian.

> All these use libtirpc and support IPv6 in addition to IPv4.  As far
> as I know, it is possible to build a full NIS stack without relying on
> any of the legacy glibc code.
>
> (I don't know about nfswatch.)

The upstream for that is <https://sourceforge.net/projects/nfswatch/>.
The current Fedora package is patched to use libtirpc.

Ben.

--

@ 2020-03-21  3:00               ` Ben Hutchings
From: Ben Hutchings @ 2020-03-21  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Weimer
  Cc: Arnd Bergmann, Rich Felker, Riku Voipio, GNU C Library,

On Fri, 2020-03-20 at 20:54 +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Fri, 2020-03-20 at 00:09 +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> > * Ben Hutchings:

> > > * nfs-utils build-depends on libtirpc-dev, and isn't using the glibc
> > > SunRPC headers except for <rpc/netdb.h>.  libtirpc's <rpc/rpcent.h>
> > > specifically avoids declaring things that are also declared in glibc's
> > > <rpc/netdb.h>.
> > >
> > > * ntirpc is a different port of the SunRPC code, used by nfs-ganesha.
> > >
> > > * nis and nfswatch really are using the glibc SunRPC headers.
> >
> > Which part of NIS?  There's a new upstream for libnsl
> > <https://github.com/thkukuk/libnsl> and the NSS module
> > <https://github.com/thkukuk/libnss_nis>;;.  (There is a nisplus module
> > as well.)
>
> This is Debian's "nis" source package, which is a bundle of yp-tools,
> ypserv, and ypbind-mt from the same upstream author.  It's unmaintained
> and has lots of bug reports in Debian.

I looked further at this.  The Debian package is using 2011 versions of
all these tools while the latest versions do use libtirpc.

> > All these use libtirpc and support IPv6 in addition to IPv4.  As far
> > as I know, it is possible to build a full NIS stack without relying on
> > any of the legacy glibc code.
> >
> > (I don't know about nfswatch.)
>
> The upstream for that is <https://sourceforge.net/projects/nfswatch/>;.
> The current Fedora package is patched to use libtirpc.

I opened Debian bug #954380 to request making that change.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Kids!  Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous.  Do not attempt it

* Re: Trying Debian/armhf rebootstrap with time64
       [not found] <CAK8P3a0EtmgDRbDzBhOOZk_kyWmCm1aqvSxwUeY0R7tbCSxaKg@mail.gmail.com>
       [not found] ` <20200311153651.12a6e93b@jawa>
       [not found] ` <20200313202234.GA3980@brightrain.aerifal.cx>
@ 2020-03-23 18:20 ` Steve McIntyre
From: Steve McIntyre @ 2020-03-23 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnd Bergmann
  Cc: y2038 Mailman List, GNU C Library, debian-arm, tcwg,
	Helmut Grohne, Wookey, Adhemerval Zanella, Lukasz Majewski,
	Jan Kiszka, Riku Voipio

Hey Arnd,

Catching up on this thread a little late, sorry... :-/

On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 01:52:00PM +0100, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
>As discussed before, I tried using the rebootstrap tool [1] to see what
>problems come up once the entire distro gets rebuilt.  Based on Lukasz'
>recommendation, I tried the 'y2038_edge' branch with his experimental
>glibc  patches [2], using commit c2de7ee9461 dated 2020-02-17.
>
>Here is a rough summary of what I tried, what worked, and what problems
>I ran into:
>
>* Building a Debian package from this was fairly straightforward, using
>  the 2.31 branch in the package git repository[3] after replacing the
>  debian/patches/git-updates.diff file with one generated from [2] and
>  disabling the hurd patches because of conflicts.
>
>* After installing the modified x86 glibc package, I ran into a runtime
>  bug in [4], which needs to pass AT_FDCWD instead of 0 to avoid
>  ENOTDIR errors.
>
>* Bootstrapping a regular time32 Debian armhf with this libc took me
>  a few days to get right, but that was mostly for getting familiar
>  with rebootstrap and running into known issues unrelated to time64
>  or the glibc changes.

Cool!

<snip glibc questions>

>* There is an open question regarding the name of the Debian
>  architecture. For my experiments, I kept using the 'armhf' name
>  unmodified, though there seems to be a general feeling that using a
>  different name would be required to address the broad incompatibilities
>  between time32 and time64 versions of all the libraries in the
>  distro. Gradually changing them won't work because of the timeline and
>  the number of affected libraries. However, the new name of the distro
>  also implies having a distinct target triplet, which must then be known
>  by glibc along with everything else using config.guess/config.sub. I
>  expect this topic to require a lot more discussion.

ACK. I'm about to prod on this again.

>* Continuing with the rebootstrap build despite the known glibc issues
>  and the open question on the architecture name went surprisingly
>  well, only two out of the 152 source packages I built had
>  compile-time problems:
>
>  - building the final gcc failed in libsanitizer, which has
>    compile-time checks to ensure some libc data structures have the
>    expected layout. It noticed that 'struct timeb' and 'struct dirent'
>    are different based on _TIME_BITS and _FILE_OFFSET_BITS. I disabled
>    the checks to be able to continue. To this properly, the library
>    has to learn about the new data structures as well. I opened a
>    bug report against the library[7].
>
>  - libpreludecpp12 failed to build because of checks for changes
>    in the exported functions, which are different with time64.
>    I disabled the checks. Once we have agreed on a new debian
>    architecture name, the symbols can be made arch specific.

Yup.

>* After everything was built, I tried installing the packages into
>  a chroot with qemu-debootstrap, which failed because I had
>  configured the glibc to assume it's running on a new kernel
>  while the qemu-user binary I had lacks the new syscalls.
>  I believe this is fixed in upstream qemu, but did not try that.
>
>* Trying to install again I used a clean debian-arm64 installation
>  running in qemu-system-aarch64, and attempted installing the
>  armhf packages using a regular debootstrap, running the 32-bit
>  binaries in compat mode of a recent arm64 kernel. This partially
>  worked and I could chroot into the system and use a shell, but
>  ultimately the debootstrap did not complete because of errors.
>  I saw that 'tar' had failed because of the stat() glibc ABI mismatch
>  breaking its private gnulib fdutimens() implementation, and this is
>  where I gave up.

Nod. :-/ I think it's time that somebody else picked up from you here.

>I have spent more time on this now than I had planned, and don't expect
>to do further work on it anytime soon, but I hope my summary is useful
>to others that are going to need this later.  I can obviously share
>my patches and build artifacts if anyone needs them. There are two
>additional approaches that would likely get a Debian bootstrap further,
>but that I have not tried as they were previously dismissed:
>
>* Adding a time64 armhf as a separate (incompatible) target in glibc
>  that defines __TIMESIZE==64 and a 64-bit __time_t would avoid
>  most of the remaining ABI issues and put armhf-time64 in the same
>  category as riscv32 and arc, but this idea was so far rejected by the
>  glibc maintainers. Depending on how hard this turns out to be,
>  it could be used to get to the point of self-hosting though, and
>  help find time64 related bugs in the rest of the distro.

OK. I'm thinking it's probably not worth it?

>* Doing the bootstrap using a musleabihf target instead of gnueabihf
>  would avoid the current issues internal to glibc-y2038, but instead
>  lead to new problems with packages that do not currently work with
>  musl. Adelie Linux has shown that it's already possible to build
>  a useful distro using musl and time64[8], and this would
>  sidestep the question of the target triplet. While it would also
>  help find and fix additional bugs in packages, and make an
>  interesting unoffical Debian target, I don't see it replacing
>  the existing armhf port any time soon.

Ditto.

Thanks for the great summary of what you've been working on!

"When C++ is your hammer, everything looks like a thumb." -- Steven M. Haflich

* Re: Trying Debian/armhf rebootstrap with time64
@ 2020-03-23 19:44   ` Arnd Bergmann
From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2020-03-23 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve McIntyre
  Cc: y2038 Mailman List, GNU C Library, debian-arm, tcwg,

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 7:21 PM Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 01:52:00PM +0100, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> >* Adding a time64 armhf as a separate (incompatible) target in glibc
> >  that defines __TIMESIZE==64 and a 64-bit __time_t would avoid
> >  most of the remaining ABI issues and put armhf-time64 in the same
> >  category as riscv32 and arc, but this idea was so far rejected by the
> >  glibc maintainers. Depending on how hard this turns out to be,
> >  it could be used to get to the point of self-hosting though, and
> >  help find time64 related bugs in the rest of the distro.
>
> OK. I'm thinking it's probably not worth it?

This depends on the timeline of Lukasz' work. My feeling is that there is still
quite a bit to be done before it's worth trying the Debian bootstrap again.

If you or someone else wants to continue where I stopped with the Debian
rebuilding without waiting for the complete glibc port, adding a new armhf
target to glibc on top of the current glibc-y2038 tree is probably a quicker
way to get something that builds and boots. I don't know how much work
exactly there would be for this approach, but my feeling is that it's not that
much after looking at the kind of problems I ran into, and at the state of
the riscv32 port that uses the same approach.

        Arnd

* Re: Trying Debian/armhf rebootstrap with time64
@ 2020-03-23 20:33     ` Lukasz Majewski
From: Lukasz Majewski @ 2020-03-23 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnd Bergmann
  Cc: Steve McIntyre, y2038 Mailman List, GNU C Library, debian-arm,
	tcwg, Helmut Grohne, Wookey, Adhemerval Zanella, Jan Kiszka,
	Riku Voipio