Dear Community, I would like to bring up one relevant Y2038 support issue - to be more specific - the conversion/replacement of struct timespec to struct __timespec64 in glibc internal code (source tree). For example - I would like to convert nptl and pthreads to be Y2038 safe. To do that the timespec_* helpers and some functions, which use futex_time64 syscall, (from 5.1+) need to use struct __timespec64. The problem is with instant replacement of struct timespec with struct __timespec64 in glibc internal code (and tests). To do it I could: - Replace its occurences in relevant directories - like ./nptl or ./sysdeps/pthread - i.e. rename all occurrences in a single directory - Replace them in functions (tests) and use explicit conversion functions - like valid_timespec_to_timespec64() before passing struct __timespec64 arguments (like ones for futex_time64 for nptl). - Replace _all_ occurrences in glibc tree of struct timespec with struct __timespec64 at once with using sed on the glibc tree. The last option seems to be the most appealing as we already use __timespec64 (with its aliasing) for some core system syscalls (like clock_gettime). However, such patch shall be applied just after the release of new stable glibc version (August 2020?) to have time for potential fixes. Which options shall we use? A few more related questions: - Shall tests in ./nptl and ./sysdeps/pthread [*] use struct __timespec64 or struct timespec? From my understanding tests (like ./nptl/tst-*) use exported headers so struct timespec for them is struct __timespec64 anyway for archs with __WORDSIZE == 32 and __TIMESIZE !=64. - Other time related structures needs to be converted as well - like struct itimerspec. [*] - from running scripts/build-many-glibcs.py it looks like only i686-gnu port (HURD) is using code in ./sysdeps/pthread. Will ./sysdeps/pthread be replaced by nptl in some near time in the future (and removed)? Best regards, Lukasz Majewski -- DENX Software Engineering GmbH, Managing Director: Wolfgang Denk HRB 165235 Munich, Office: Kirchenstr.5, D-82194 Groebenzell, Germany Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-59 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: lukma@denx.de