* glibc 2.32 release strategy for ABI changes.
@ 2020-07-03 21:49 Carlos O'Donell
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2020-07-03 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-alpha, Adhemerval Zanella, Vineet Gupta, Alistair Francis,
	H.J. Lu, Florian Weimer, Mathieu Desnoyers, Chung-Lin Tang,
	Szabolcs Nagy, DJ Delorie

In a short moment I will declare the ABI frozen for changes, and only
changes authorized by the release manager will be allowed. Bug fixes
will still be allowed.

As release manager I want to carry out the following steps as part
of the coordinated ABI changes for the glibc 2.32 release:

(1) I want to see Adhemerval's signum-{generic,arch}.h series pushed
    after a final review. I think this is ready and adds APIs for
    the data we used to export and deprecates the other interfaces.

(2) I want to see HJ's <sys/platform/x86.h> series reviewed and
    accepted and pushed or deferred for further discussion.

    - HJ, Florian, What's the status on this?

(3) I want to see the __libc_single_thread patches pushed. These
    have been extensively reviewed and are ready for use.

(4) I want to see the rseq changes pushed. These have been
    extensively reviewed, but testing has shown a problem with
    the audit module framework, but a straight forward fix is
    available for that (raise TLS_TCB_ALIGN as required) [1].

(5) I want to review and get Adhemerval's 64-bit time_t fixes
    pushed.

(6) I want to see the ARC port pushed *after* (5) and after
    review says they are ready.

    - Vineet, If we get all of (5), is anything else needed?

(7) I want to see the RISC-V 32-bit port pushed *after* (5)
    and after review says they are ready.

    - Alistair, If we get all of (5), is there anything else needed?

(8) I want to see the SunRPC deprecation pushed *after* (6)
    and after review says they are ready. We want to do it in
    this order to prove that the SunRPC deprecation correctly
    cleans up a port, the ARC port, with a 2.32 baseline and
    removes all trace of the old baseline compat symbols.

I want to complete all of this by July 10th (next week).

I do not want to add anything else to this already large list.

The non-ABI fixes can keep going in and I'm particularly keen
to see these fixes:

(a) AArch64 BTI and PAC-RET.

(b) Szabolcs's TLS reservation fixes.
    - Internal ABI changes are OK e.g. GLIBC_PRIVATE.

(c) Chung-Lin Tang's DSO sorting fixes.

(d) DJ's NSS nsswitch.conf reloading changes.

(e) Regression fix for en_US date.

(f) x86: Add thresholds for "rep movsb/stosb" to tunables

I want machine maintainers to test from July 13 to July 30th.

I want to cut the branch August 3rd.

Please review the above details. If anything seems out of place
please call it out. If we are missing dependencies or if you think
something won't make the cut, please say so.

As a reminder glibc runs a time boxed release. I will cut features
and revert code to make the August 3rd release.

--
Cheers,
Carlos.

[1] https://sourceware.org/pipermail/libc-alpha/2020-July/115758.html