On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 02:52:03PM -0400, Carlos O'Donell via Libc-alpha wrote: > Community, > > glibc was created as part of the GNU Project but has grown to operate as > an autonomous project. As part of the GNU Toolchain the glibc stewards > support the gcc project policy changes presented here: > https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc/2021-June/236182.html > > The glibc stewards are seeking input from developers to decide if the project > should relax the requirement to assign copyright for all changes to the > Free Software Foundation as follows: > > Contributors who have an FSF Copyright Assignment wouldn't need to > change anything. Contributors who wish to utilize the Developer Certificate > of Origin[1] would add a Signed-off-by message to their commit messages. > > The changes to accept patches with or without FSF copyright assignment > would be effective on August 2nd, and would apply to all open branches. > > The glibc stewards, like the GCC SC, continue to affirm the principles of > Free Software, and that will never change. > > glibc will continue to be developed, distributed, and licensed under the > GNU Lesser General Public License v2.1 or any later version as > published by the Free Software Foundation. > > Input on this issue is accepted until July 1st 2021. I've recently contributed a couple of patches to glibc, and the copyright assignment was definitely a barrier. I have no employer or university affiliation, so copyright wasn't an issue, and I also don't mind assigning copyright to the FSF, because regardless of everything else that's going on, I don't believe they're going to abuse my copyright. But even though I should be the simplest case, it still really got in the way of my patch, because it took 14 days after I requested the form for me to receive it, and then another 7 days after I returned it for it to be confirmed. That's a long time for both the reviewer and the contributor to keep a small patch in their head! So I'm in favour of allowing DCO. I'd definitely have chosen it over a copyright assignment had it been available. I don't particularly foresee any negative consequences that could come of it, especially since the FSF would probably continue to hold the vast majority of the copyright for the foreseeable future. And I definitely think it would help get more contributions, because I know how close I was to just giving up. > Signed, > Ryan Arnold > Paul Eggert > Jakub Jelinek > Maxim Kuvyrkov > Joseph Myers > Carlos O'Donell > > [1] https://developercertificate.org/ >