Hi Joseph, > On Mon, 8 Nov 2021, Lukasz Majewski wrote: > > > The 'distro' module is the most elegant (and pythonic) way to get > > the info about running OS. > > Florian's suggestion of checking for specific programs, so staying > completely independent of the running OS and its version and of > whether those programs are provided by the OS or not, seems much > better to me. Ok. > > > > Why is dnsutils needed? > > > File "/usr/lib/python3.7/socket.py", line 748, in getaddrinfo > > for res in _socket.getaddrinfo(host, port, family, type, proto, > > flags): socket.gaierror: [Errno -2] Name or service not known > > That doesn't answer my question, since getaddrinfo (implemented using > the C library function of that name, presumably) shouldn't be using > any of the programs in dnsutils "Transitional package for > bind9-dnsutils". "Can do working DNS client lookups from library > code" is not the same as "has certain executables installed that a > user might use from the command line to look things up in the DNS". > > If you want to check for working DNS lookups / network access from > library code, then trying to look up www.gnu.org seems a better > approach than checking for any installed programs. > Sorry, but I cannot follow your question/explanation above. The issue is that - without having dnsutils, when trying to run build-many-glibcs.py the pasted error shows up. After installing dnsutils (on debian 10) the problem on my setup/machine is fixed. Best regards, Lukasz Majewski -- DENX Software Engineering GmbH, Managing Director: Wolfgang Denk HRB 165235 Munich, Office: Kirchenstr.5, D-82194 Groebenzell, Germany Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-59 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: lukma@denx.de