* Locale with shift state
@ 2017-05-24 15:27 Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2017-05-24 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU C Library

Do we have a locale with a multi-byte character set which has shift
state (beyond a truncated multi-byte conversion)?  We support such
charsets in iconv, but I can't find a locale which uses them.

Would such a locale even be POSIX-compatible?

Thanks,
Florian

* Re: Locale with shift state
@ 2017-05-24 23:25 ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2017-05-24 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-alpha

On 05/24/2017 08:27 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:
> Do we have a locale with a multi-byte character set which has shift
> state (beyond a truncated multi-byte conversion)?  We support such
> charsets in iconv, but I can't find a locale which uses them.

I doubt whether we have any such locales.

> Would such a locale even be POSIX-compatible?

It depends what you mean by "POSIX-compatible". Locking-shift encodings
cannot be defined by POSIX-compatible character set description files,
and POSIX does not require support for such encodings. See:

http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/basedefs/V1_chap06.html#tag_06_04

Although a POSIX implementation could provide extensions to the
character set description format and/or a builtin locale that supports
such locking-shift encodings, I don't know of any practical POSIX
implementation that does so. I vaguely recall hearing of attempts to
build such systems many years ago for ISO-2022-JP, and that they didn't
work.