The attached change modifies _dl_runtime_resolve to return to its caller when _dl_fixup fails. This can occur on hppa when the caller attempts to call an undefined weak function. The old code would fault when _dl_fixup fails. The most problematic function in this regard is __gmon_start__. Currently, it is linked into every shared object. This breaks the --as-needed ld option. On Debian, we have an additional patch to treat __gmon_start__ as a true weak symbol. I don't plan to apply this change as it becomes tricky to rebuild a distribution. Rebuilding a shared library removes __gmon_start__ and this may break a package using the library. This isn't a problem after everything is rebuilt. Dave -- John David Anglin dave.anglin@bell.net