From: Adhemerval Zanella Netto <adhemerval.zanella@linaro.org>
To: Mark Wielaard <mark@klomp.org>,
	"Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@gentoo.org>
Cc: libc-alpha@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: state of the ports
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 09:44:34 -0300	[thread overview]

On 25/02/24 19:47, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Feb 02, 2024 at 03:35:04AM +0100, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
>> So... after all the testing gone into the release I thought I'd
>> summarize a bit for the list here - by sorting the glibc ports into
>> "excellent", "good", "medium", "bad", and "nobody even tried".
>
> We have several buildbots at builder.sourceware.org for glibc which
> probably should start sending build failure emails when things break.
> https://builder.sourceware.org/buildbot/#/builders?tags=glibc

It would be really helpful to proper document this instead of just throwing
a comment on https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Buildbot saying the current
information is outdated. The wiki the main source of developer information
and I don't think linking to a blog post if the best way to document it.

And although the buildbot is a good improvement for glibc development,
this does seems like disjoint initiative that did not get much feedback
from glibc community and it is not really tied to current practice.

On the weekly call [1], we focus most of patchwork [2] results, which has
results for pre-commit buildbot setup by RedHat and extended by Linaro
for ARM.  And on each release and on the following weeks, we check and
discuss the release wiki information to check for potential regressions
and such. Joseph also keeps a buildbot using build-many-glibcs.py to keep
track of build for all supported architectures [4].

So I personally think it would be more valuable to hook the buildbots on
the pre-commit CI instead of doing pos-commit checks.

[1] https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/PatchworkReviewMeetings
[2] https://patchwork.sourceware.org/project/glibc/list/
[3] https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Release/2.39
[4] https://sourceware.org/pipermail/libc-testresults/