On 4/27/21 3:58 PM, Joseph Myers wrote: > On Tue, 27 Apr 2021, Martin Sebor via Libc-alpha wrote: > >> These are warnings in my build (I've seen a few others scroll by >> and have always assumed they were expected(*)). Those you pasted > > Most warnings are errors by default (unless you use --disable-werror, > which should never normally be used in glibc development unless you're > e.g. reviewing the warnings you get if you add extra warning options to > those with which glibc is built by default, in order to fix those warnings > before adding the extra options). Ah, that's what my build script does and I keep forgetting to change that when working on Glibc (as opposed to testing new GCC warnings). My bad. The attached diff patches up the tests to pass the function a valid argument. I'll plan to commit it shortly unless you prefer some other solution. Martin > >> I test by simply running make check. I can make the change to >> the test if you expect warning-free test builds. > > We expect builds, for all glibc ABIs, free from compile errors or failures > of tests that can run without needing to execute any code for the glibc > architecture. That means no warnings that are turned into errors by > -Werror. There are some warnings for which -Wno-error or pragmas are used > to stop them being errors; all other warnings are disallowed. > >> [*] Here's an example of a warning I just noticed while rerunning >> make check: >> >> tst-chk1.c: In function ‘do_test’: > > That's an example covered by -Wno-error. > > # We know these tests have problems with format strings, this is what > # we are testing. Disable that warning. They are also testing > # deprecated functions (notably gets) so disable that warning as well. > # And they also generate warnings from warning attributes, which > # cannot be disabled via pragmas, so require -Wno-error to be used. > CFLAGS-tst-chk1.c += -Wno-format -Wno-deprecated-declarations -Wno-error > > (Any code disabling any warnings or disabling -Werror for them is expected > to have a comment explaining why it's OK to do so in that case.) >