* [RFC] Auto-posting committed patches to this list?
@ 2021-03-09 18:28 Siddhesh Poyarekar
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Siddhesh Poyarekar @ 2021-03-09 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-alpha

Hi,

There are quite a few patches that get pushed to git with minor
modifications; it's a convenient workflow hack since it allows
committers to push trivial changes when they don't really need
additional review.

That however breaks patchwork patch detection since the checksums
against the diffs don't match.  There are bugs in patchwork (or to see
it another way, bugs in email clients) that prevent this too, but
trivial changes are a pretty big percentage.

I have a wrapper script that, whenever it updates my repo, checks for
the patchwork patch for each commit and updates its state.  I currently
do it on need basis, but I could make it a cron job.  How annoying would
it be for folks here if the script, upon not finding a suitable patch,
email it to the list as [committed]?

As a bargain chip, one would no longer have to send an email whenever
they push trivial changes to the repo; my sync would do it for them.

This is not just to make the patchwork backlog cleaner, but also to make
sure that the community is aware of the final version of the patch that
went in; they're easier to correlate in the same list since they'd
typically have the same subject line.

This should eventually become a post-receive hook in the upstream repo,
but I want to see if this workflow actually works for us before
proposing this deeper change.

Thoughts?

Siddhesh