On 4/20/24 6:04 PM, Carl Edquist wrote: > I think this is _definitely_ true for the BC coproc in the bcalc example. > But it's kind of a distraction to get hung up on that detail, because in > the general case there may very well be other scenarios where it would be > appropriate to, um, _nudge_ the coproc a bit with the kill command. You might be surprised. The OP was sending thousands of calculations to (I think) GNU bc, which had some resource consumption issue that resulted in it eventually hanging, unresponsive. The kill was the solution there. I imagine there are similar scenarios with other tools. -- ``The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne.'' - Chaucer ``Ars longa, vita brevis'' - Hippocrates Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU chet@case.edu http://tiswww.cwru.edu/~chet/