* Release manager for glibc 2.24?
@ 2016-02-22 14:09 Carlos O'Donell
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2016-02-22 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU C Library, Adhemerval Zanella

Adhemerval,

Would you care to be release manager for glibc 2.24 in 6 months?

This time we'll go through the checklist point-by-point together
and make sure it matches reality, clarifying anything we thought
was confusing from this time around?

I'm always excited to have someone new go through the process
since it helps bring to light issues which we didn't think about.

Cheers,
Carlos.

* Re: Release manager for glibc 2.24?
@ 2016-02-22 14:12 ` Adhemerval Zanella
From: Adhemerval Zanella @ 2016-02-22 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos O'Donell; +Cc: GNU C Library

> Em 22 de fev de 2016, às 11:09, Carlos O'Donell <carlos@redhat.com> escreveu:
>
> Adhemerval,
>
> Would you care to be release manager for glibc 2.24 in 6 months?
>
> This time we'll go through the checklist point-by-point together
> and make sure it matches reality, clarifying anything we thought
> was confusing from this time around?
>
> I'm always excited to have someone new go through the process
> since it helps bring to light issues which we didn't think about.

That's ok for me if no one opposes. I hope I will not overlook anything now.

@ 2016-02-22 14:18   ` Carlos O'Donell
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2016-02-22 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adhemerval Zanella; +Cc: GNU C Library

On 02/22/2016 09:12 AM, Adhemerval Zanella wrote:
>> Em 22 de fev de 2016, às 11:09, Carlos O'Donell <carlos@redhat.com> escreveu:
>>
>> Adhemerval,
>>
>> Would you care to be release manager for glibc 2.24 in 6 months?
>>
>> This time we'll go through the checklist point-by-point together
>> and make sure it matches reality, clarifying anything we thought
>> was confusing from this time around?
>>
>> I'm always excited to have someone new go through the process
>> since it helps bring to light issues which we didn't think about.
>
> That's ok for me if no one opposes. I hope I will not overlook anything now.

You did a great job. The fault lies entirely with my confused documentation
of the release process, I have added some more [REQUIRED] and [OPTIONAL]
markers at every step to clarify what needs to be done and what can be skipped
given time constraints.

I look forward to having you as a release manager again in 2.24!

@ 2016-02-22 18:28     ` Joseph Myers
From: Joseph Myers @ 2016-02-22 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos O'Donell; +Cc: Adhemerval Zanella, GNU C Library

On Mon, 22 Feb 2016, Carlos O'Donell wrote:

> You did a great job. The fault lies entirely with my confused documentation
> of the release process, I have added some more [REQUIRED] and [OPTIONAL]
> markers at every step to clarify what needs to be done and what can be skipped
> given time constraints.

I think you need markers to say more prominently what the times at which
things are needed are.  For example, that libc.pot should be regenerated
and a snapshot sent to the TP immediately after the freeze (it's no good
if that section isn't noticed until the final release is being made).

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com

* Re: Release manager for glibc 2.24?
@ 2016-02-23  5:04       ` Carlos O'Donell
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2016-02-23  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Myers; +Cc: Adhemerval Zanella, GNU C Library

On 02/22/2016 01:28 PM, Joseph Myers wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Feb 2016, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>
>> You did a great job. The fault lies entirely with my confused documentation
>> of the release process, I have added some more [REQUIRED] and [OPTIONAL]
>> markers at every step to clarify what needs to be done and what can be skipped
>> given time constraints.
>
> I think you need markers to say more prominently what the times at which
> things are needed are.  For example, that libc.pot should be regenerated
> and a snapshot sent to the TP immediately after the freeze (it's no good
> if that section isn't noticed until the final release is being made).

Updated. Ordered tasks by distance to release.

Cheers,
Carlos.