* Decouple glob from gnulib?
@ 2016-03-30  7:49 Florian Weimer
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Florian Weimer @ 2016-03-30  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU C Library

gnulib switched to GPLv3 for its glob implementation a while back, so
straight imports are out of the question.

I would like to remove Amiga (not m68k, the operating system) and VMS
support to simplify maintenance, and remove conditional compilation as
far as possible.  (Sadly, Hurd doesn't have d_type, but at least there
is d_ino.)

Florian

* Re: Decouple glob from gnulib?
@ 2016-03-30 10:12 ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2016-03-30 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-alpha

On 03/30/2016 09:49 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:
> gnulib switched to GPLv3 for its glob implementation a while back, so
> straight imports are out of the question.
>
> I would like to remove Amiga (not m68k, the operating system) and VMS
> support to simplify maintenance, and remove conditional compilation as
> far as possible.  (Sadly, Hurd doesn't have d_type, but at least there
> is d_ino.)

Hurd has d_type as well.  FreeBSD, too

posix/tst-gnuglob fails if I pretend I do not have d_type because the
virtual file system implementation is incorrect.  It's safe to assume
that the non-d_type case is completely untested.

Yet another reason to decouple glob, I think.

@ 2016-03-30 13:46 ` Mike Frysinger
From: Mike Frysinger @ 2016-03-30 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Weimer; +Cc: GNU C Library

On 30 Mar 2016 09:49, Florian Weimer wrote:
> gnulib switched to GPLv3 for its glob implementation a while back, so
> straight imports are out of the question.

ask them, although i would highlight both are fully FSF copyrighted
projects, so it shouldn't be a problem to just import & relicense and
not require them to downgrade
-mike

* Re: Decouple glob from gnulib?
@ 2016-03-30 13:49   ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2016-03-30 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU C Library

On 03/30/2016 03:46 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On 30 Mar 2016 09:49, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> gnulib switched to GPLv3 for its glob implementation a while
>> back, so straight imports are out of the question.
>
> ask them, although i would highlight both are fully FSF
> copyrighted projects, so it shouldn't be a problem to just import &
> relicense and not require them to downgrade

Yes, but the technical concerns about this code, as it exists in
gnulib, are significant as well.

In my opinion, we should take ownership and clean it up.

@ 2016-03-30 18:28 ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2016-03-30 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Weimer, GNU C Library

On 03/30/2016 12:49 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:
> gnulib switched to GPLv3 for its glob implementation a while back, so
> straight imports are out of the question.

No, the Gnulib license is LGPLv2+, so you can import without problem.
The actual license is in modules/glob; gnulib-tool rewrites the text in
the source files when you import.

> I would like to remove Amiga (not m68k, the operating system) and VMS
> support to simplify maintenance, and remove conditional compilation as
> far as possible.  (Sadly, Hurd doesn't have d_type, but at least there
> is d_ino.)

That would be fine for Gnulib, as they are no longer practical porting
targets. This sort of cleanup shouldn't necessitate decoupling.