* glibc 2.24 --- Release on August 1st (hard deadline).
@ 2016-03-31 13:26 Carlos O'Donell
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2016-03-31 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU C Library, Adhemerval Zanella, Mike Frysinger, Allan McRae,
	Dmitry V. Levin, Aurelien Jarno, Khem Raj, Andreas Schwab,
	Adam Conrad

I would like to suggest that we release glibc 2.24 on August 1st
2016 and consider this a hard deadline.

This suggestion is strongly motivated by the accelerated Fedora 25
schedule which could use a stable glibc 2.24 released on August 1st
to synchronize with an Alpha Freeze on August 9th [1].

This request is not out of line with the expected schedule. The
glibc schedule is nominally February 1st / August 1st (after
having shifted it to avoid the holiday season, starting with 2.19
in 2014).

We are somewhat lax in the exact release date, but for the 2.24
release I'm asking that we be firm and release on August 1st. I'm
happy to help the RM review patches leading up to this point.

The 2.23 release was only 18 days behind the expected schedule,
but that's 18 days we will lose in 2.24 development.

Concerns?

Is everyone OK with an August 1st 2016 release date?

--
Cheers,
Carlos.

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/25/Schedule

* Re: glibc 2.24 --- Release on August 1st (hard deadline).
@ 2016-03-31 20:13 ` Adam Conrad
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Adam Conrad @ 2016-03-31 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos O'Donell
  Cc: GNU C Library, Adhemerval Zanella, Mike Frysinger, Allan McRae,

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 09:26:15AM -0400, Carlos O'Donell wrote:

> This request is not out of line with the expected schedule. The
> glibc schedule is nominally February 1st / August 1st (after
> having shifted it to avoid the holiday season, starting with 2.19
> in 2014).
>
> Is everyone OK with an August 1st 2016 release date?

Personally, I'd like to see us stick better to a solid release
schedule like the above, as it would also help me slot things into
the Ubuntu release timelines, so no complaints here.  As you point
out, it'll make this cycle slightly shorter than 6mo, but if we
keep a time-based schedule going forward, it should work well.

... Adam

* Re: glibc 2.24 --- Release on August 1st (hard deadline).
@ 2016-03-31 20:18   ` Adhemerval Zanella
From: Adhemerval Zanella @ 2016-03-31 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Conrad, Carlos O'Donell
  Cc: GNU C Library, Mike Frysinger, Allan McRae, Dmitry V. Levin,

On 31-03-2016 17:13, Adam Conrad wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 09:26:15AM -0400, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>>
>> This request is not out of line with the expected schedule. The
>> glibc schedule is nominally February 1st / August 1st (after
>> having shifted it to avoid the holiday season, starting with 2.19
>> in 2014).
>>
>> Is everyone OK with an August 1st 2016 release date?
>
> Personally, I'd like to see us stick better to a solid release
> schedule like the above, as it would also help me slot things into
> the Ubuntu release timelines, so no complaints here.  As you point
> out, it'll make this cycle slightly shorter than 6mo, but if we
> keep a time-based schedule going forward, it should work well.
>
> ... Adam

I am OK with this schedule and now we are announcing it with at least
4 moths before we can really enforce the timelines.

* Re: glibc 2.24 --- Release on August 1st (hard deadline).
@ 2016-03-31 20:25 ` Zack Weinberg
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Zack Weinberg @ 2016-03-31 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos O'Donell, GNU C Library

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 9:26 AM, Carlos O'Donell <carlos@redhat.com> wrote:

> I would like to suggest that we release glibc 2.24 on August 1st
> 2016 and consider this a hard deadline.

I have no objection, but just for clarity, what would this mean for
the freeze date(s)?

zw

* Re: glibc 2.24 --- Release on August 1st (hard deadline).
@ 2016-03-31 21:41 ` Aurelien Jarno
From: Aurelien Jarno @ 2016-03-31 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos O'Donell
  Cc: GNU C Library, Adhemerval Zanella, Mike Frysinger, Allan McRae,
	Dmitry V. Levin, Khem Raj, Andreas Schwab, Adam Conrad

On 2016-03-31 09:26, Carlos O'Donell wrote:

> I would like to suggest that we release glibc 2.24 on August 1st
> 2016 and consider this a hard deadline.
>
> This suggestion is strongly motivated by the accelerated Fedora 25
> schedule which could use a stable glibc 2.24 released on August 1st
> to synchronize with an Alpha Freeze on August 9th [1].
>
> This request is not out of line with the expected schedule. The
> glibc schedule is nominally February 1st / August 1st (after
> having shifted it to avoid the holiday season, starting with 2.19
> in 2014).
>
> We are somewhat lax in the exact release date, but for the 2.24
> release I'm asking that we be firm and release on August 1st. I'm
> happy to help the RM review patches leading up to this point.
>
> The 2.23 release was only 18 days behind the expected schedule,
> but that's 18 days we will lose in 2.24 development.
>
> Concerns?
>
> Is everyone OK with an August 1st 2016 release date?

For Debian that means we can include 2.24 in the Stretch release, the
transition freeze being on the 2016-Nov-05. We even have a few months
margin if needed. So it looks fine.

Cheers,
Aurelien

* Re: glibc 2.24 --- Release on August 1st (hard deadline).
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-04-04  7:49 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2016-04-04  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos O'Donell
  Cc: GNU C Library, Adhemerval Zanella, Mike Frysinger, Allan McRae,
	Dmitry V. Levin, Aurelien Jarno, Khem Raj, Adam Conrad

For openSUSE Tumbleweed any date is ok, since we are on a continuous
release schedule.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, SUSE Labs, schwab@suse.de
GPG Key fingerprint = 0196 BAD8 1CE9 1970 F4BE  1748 E4D4 88E3 0EEA B9D7

* Re: glibc 2.24 --- Release on August 1st (hard deadline).
@ 2016-04-13 18:22   ` Carlos O'Donell
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2016-04-13 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zack Weinberg, GNU C Library

On 03/31/2016 04:25 PM, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 9:26 AM, Carlos O'Donell <carlos@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> I would like to suggest that we release glibc 2.24 on August 1st
>> 2016 and consider this a hard deadline.
>
> I have no objection, but just for clarity, what would this mean for
> the freeze date(s)?

We would enter the ABI/API freeze on July 1st, and work our way towards
an August 1st *or* earlier release. Just like we have done with all the
other releases e.g. start preparing for the release 30-days before the
release [1]

The sooner we get machine testing done and everyone in agreement the
earlier we release glibc 2.24, and thus the sooner we open development
on the new branch.

So the more focused we are on the release the shorter the freeze and
the sooner we get back to development.

The goal remains that we release consistently on fixed dates in a time
boxed fashion.

--
Cheers,
Carlos.

[1] https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Release/#Freeze_.5BREQUIRED.5D_.281_month_before_release.29

* Re: glibc 2.24 --- Release on August 1st (hard deadline).
@ 2016-04-13 18:24   ` Carlos O'Donell
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2016-04-13 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Conrad
  Cc: GNU C Library, Adhemerval Zanella, Mike Frysinger, Allan McRae,

On 03/31/2016 04:13 PM, Adam Conrad wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 09:26:15AM -0400, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>>
>> This request is not out of line with the expected schedule. The
>> glibc schedule is nominally February 1st / August 1st (after
>> having shifted it to avoid the holiday season, starting with 2.19
>> in 2014).
>>
>> Is everyone OK with an August 1st 2016 release date?
>
> Personally, I'd like to see us stick better to a solid release
> schedule like the above, as it would also help me slot things into
> the Ubuntu release timelines, so no complaints here.  As you point
> out, it'll make this cycle slightly shorter than 6mo, but if we
> keep a time-based schedule going forward, it should work well.
>
> ... Adam

Exactly. I think we all agree to the goal. This time I'm saying
we need to hit the goal and I'm here to help Adhemerval, the 2.24
RM, hit the goal.

--
Cheers,
Carlos.

* Re: glibc 2.24 --- Release on August 1st (hard deadline).
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-04-13 20:07 ` Mike Frysinger
From: Mike Frysinger @ 2016-04-13 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-alpha