* I nominate Florian Weimer as network component maintainer.
@ 2016-03-11  2:19 Carlos O'Donell
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2016-03-11  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU C Library, Florian Weimer, Joseph S. Myers, Roland McGrath,
	Ryan S. Arnold, Jakub Jelinek, Maxim Kuvyrkov, Paul Eggert,
	Alexandre Oliva, Andreas Schwab, Mark Brown

Stewards,

I would like to nominate Florian Weimer from Red Hat as the component
maintainer for network. Florian Weimer comes to the glibc community
with extensive experience in security, networking protocols, DNS,
and more. Florian was instrumental in helping with CVE-2015-7547
and I expect the test case for that CVE to become part of our
testing framework for testing all future stub resolver issues.

Florian is keen to help glibc update the stub resolver and parts of
NSS in an incremental fashion, keeping in mind all of the legacy
applications that have to keep working and their expectations.

Florian understands that we are a conservative project and that we like
to see small steps that have clear consensus and that nobody would
object to. And the network code, particularly the stub resolver needs
to be owned by the community and maintained to a standard that we are
all happy to support it (instead of wishing we'd sync up again with the
unsupported BIND8 code).

Florian,

I suggest waiting 1 month for comments from the community, and then
adding your name as "Maintainer" under the network component here:
https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/MAINTAINERS#Reviewers_by_component

--
Cheers,
Carlos.

* Re: I nominate Florian Weimer as network component maintainer.
@ 2016-03-11  5:07 ` Mike Frysinger
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Mike Frysinger @ 2016-03-11  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos O'Donell
  Cc: GNU C Library, Florian Weimer, Joseph S. Myers, Roland McGrath,

On 10 Mar 2016 21:18, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> I would like to nominate Florian Weimer from Red Hat as the component
> maintainer for network. Florian Weimer comes to the glibc community
> with extensive experience in security, networking protocols, DNS,
> and more. Florian was instrumental in helping with CVE-2015-7547
> and I expect the test case for that CVE to become part of our
> testing framework for testing all future stub resolver issues.
>
> Florian is keen to help glibc update the stub resolver and parts of
> NSS in an incremental fashion, keeping in mind all of the legacy
> applications that have to keep working and their expectations.
>
> Florian understands that we are a conservative project and that we like
> to see small steps that have clear consensus and that nobody would
> object to. And the network code, particularly the stub resolver needs
> to be owned by the community and maintained to a standard that we are
> all happy to support it (instead of wishing we'd sync up again with the
> unsupported BIND8 code).

more than happy to have someone watch over it specifically, and Florian
seems more than competent.  there was some posts in recentish times about
getting more love in resolv (and there were some patches iirc), so that
would prob be good to sweep up too.
-mike

* Re: I nominate Florian Weimer as network component maintainer.
@ 2016-03-11 17:08 ` Joseph Myers
From: Joseph Myers @ 2016-03-11 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos O'Donell
  Cc: GNU C Library, Florian Weimer, Roland McGrath, Ryan S. Arnold,

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016, Carlos O'Donell wrote:

> Stewards,
>
> I would like to nominate Florian Weimer from Red Hat as the component
> maintainer for network. Florian Weimer comes to the glibc community

I support this.  I look forward to seeing the open "network" bugs brought
under control over time (currently there are 83 of them, the third highest
number of any component after libc (203) and localedata (110) - and it
would not surprise me if this includes duplicates and invalid bugs where
we've simply lacked the expertise to reach a conclusion that a bug should
be closed), as well as improvements not related to specific open bugs.

We still need more people to step up to become glibc experts in other
areas (and having one maintainer in an area does *not* stop other people
from acting as experts in that area and becoming maintainers as well).
(And, in the case of "libc", people willing to tackle miscellaneous issues
all over the place.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com

* Re: I nominate Florian Weimer as network component maintainer.
@ 2016-03-11 18:05 ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2016-03-11 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos O'Donell, GNU C Library, Florian Weimer,
	Joseph S. Myers, Roland McGrath, Ryan S. Arnold, Jakub Jelinek,
	Maxim Kuvyrkov, Alexandre Oliva, Andreas Schwab, Mark Brown

Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> I would like to nominate Florian Weimer from Red Hat as the component
> maintainer for network.

Yay! Enthusiastic support.

* Re: I nominate Florian Weimer as network component maintainer.
@ 2016-03-11 19:21   ` Chris Leonard
From: Chris Leonard @ 2016-03-11 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Myers
  Cc: Carlos O'Donell, GNU C Library, Florian Weimer,

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 12:07 PM, Joseph Myers <joseph@codesourcery.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2016, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>
>> Stewards,
>>
>> I would like to nominate Florian Weimer from Red Hat as the component
>> maintainer for network. Florian Weimer comes to the glibc community

+1

> I support this.  I look forward to seeing the open "network" bugs brought
> under control over time (currently there are 83 of them, the third highest
> number of any component after libc (203) and localedata (110) - and it
> would not surprise me if this includes duplicates and invalid bugs where
> we've simply lacked the expertise to reach a conclusion that a bug should
> be closed), as well as improvements not related to specific open bugs.

I've not made extensive use of the granted commit privs since my
flurry of localedata work in 2013, but it is my hope to resume more
active work on locales, particularly in the area of helping new
locales get needed commits.  Mike Frysinger (vapier) has done some
very valuable work recently on localedata review and tickets review, I
hope to work collaboratively with him and any other interested parties
to bring down the open bugs numbers for localedata.

> We still need more people to step up to become glibc experts in other
> areas (and having one maintainer in an area does *not* stop other people
> from acting as experts in that area and becoming maintainers as well).
> (And, in the case of "libc", people willing to tackle miscellaneous issues
> all over the place.)
>
> --
> Joseph S. Myers
> joseph@codesourcery.com

* Re: I nominate Florian Weimer as network component maintainer.
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-04-27 12:17 ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2016-04-27 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos O'Donell, GNU C Library, Joseph S. Myers,

On 03/11/2016 03:18 AM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> I suggest waiting 1 month for comments from the community, and then
> adding your name as "Maintainer" under the network component here:
> https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/MAINTAINERS#Reviewers_by_component

All,

thanks for the support.  I have added myself as a network subsystem
maintainer on the wiki.

Florian

* Re: I nominate Florian Weimer as network component maintainer.
@ 2016-03-11  2:23 Siddhesh Poyarekar
From: Siddhesh Poyarekar @ 2016-03-11  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos O'Donell
  Cc: Paul Eggert, GNU C Library, Andreas Schwab, Florian Weimer,
	Mark Brown, Alexandre Oliva, Maxim Kuvyrkov, Joseph S. Myers,
	Jakub Jelinek, Ryan S. Arnold, Roland McGrath

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Siddhesh