* THREAD_GETMEM support for Hurd in glibc
@ 2020-02-15 10:12 Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2020-02-15 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bug-hurd; +Cc: libc-alpha

Is there a way to add fields to the thread descriptor on Hurd?

With NPTL, we have THREAD_GETMEM and THREAD_SETMEM to access
thread-local variables without relying on the platform TLS
implementation.

I want to use this for thread-local data in the dynamic loader,
specifically for the exception handling context.  Using the thread
descriptor or TCB for this seems appropriate because this TLS data is
not supposed to be duplicated in alternative namespaces (because they
share the dynamic loader).

* Re: THREAD_GETMEM support for Hurd in glibc
@ 2020-02-15 13:23 ` Samuel Thibault
From: Samuel Thibault @ 2020-02-15 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Weimer; +Cc: bug-hurd, libc-alpha

Hello,

Florian Weimer, le sam. 15 févr. 2020 11:11:02 +0100, a ecrit:
> Is there a way to add fields to the thread descriptor on Hurd?

Sure!

> With NPTL, we have THREAD_GETMEM and THREAD_SETMEM to access
> thread-local variables without relying on the platform TLS
> implementation.

I have now added them.

Samuel

* Re: THREAD_GETMEM support for Hurd in glibc
@ 2020-02-15 20:19   ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2020-02-15 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bug-hurd; +Cc: libc-alpha

* Samuel Thibault:

> Hello,
>
> Florian Weimer, le sam. 15 févr. 2020 11:11:02 +0100, a ecrit:
>> Is there a way to add fields to the thread descriptor on Hurd?
>
> Sure!
>
>> With NPTL, we have THREAD_GETMEM and THREAD_SETMEM to access
>> thread-local variables without relying on the platform TLS
>> implementation.
>
> I have now added them.

Thanks, this is very useful and allowed me to simplify the loader
exception handling.