From: Florian Weimer <fweimer@redhat.com>
To: Carlos O'Donell via Libc-alpha <libc-alpha@sourceware.org>
Cc: Carlos O'Donell <carlos@redhat.com>,
	 Konstantin Ryabitsev <konstantin@linuxfoundation.org>,
	 Joseph Myers <joseph@codesourcery.com>,
	"Ryan S. Arnold" <ryan.arnold@gmail.com>,
	 Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu>,
	 Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com>,
	 Maxim Kuvyrkov <maxim.kuvyrkov@linaro.org>,
	 Andreas Schwab <schwab@suse.de>
Subject: Re: Core Toolchain Infrastructure - Services for glibc
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 13:38:00 +0200	[thread overview]

* Carlos O'Donell via Libc-alpha:

> * Mailing lists
>  * Support public-inbox for mailing list archives.
>  * Use of public-inbox means archives can be cloned and copied.
>  * Use of LF IT Subspace mailing list services (mlmmj, postfix).

I assume LF IT is able to run mailing lists without “via” From:
rewriting?

> * bug database
>  * Consider starting fresh in new Bugzilla 5.0.4+ instance and freeze old product.
>  * glibc component in sourceware instance marked "Not open for new bugs."
>  * No easy way to clone this but we can discuss options.
>  * Isolate bugzilla from other services.

Does LF IT offer some Bugzilla anti-spam services?  To what extent do we
need to constrain new sign-ups?

We have one custom extension I know of: suppressing notifications when
setting security+ because it was deemed too noisy for old bugs.  This
should not be necessary anymore; most of the bugs missing security+
analysis are current.

> * git
>  * Migrate to gitolite
>  * Community manages access via gitolite keys.
>  * Minimize all access to sources and isolate from other processes.
>  * Minimal server side web hooks where required.
>  * Isolate git service from other services.
>  * Stop supporting svn/cvs and provide tarball dumps.

Can we keep using the AdaCore hooks?  Or would they have to run on the
side somehow?  Who is going to implement changes to the AdaCore scripts?

> * wiki
>  * Migrate to git-based documentation with existing content copied over.
>  * Suggest rst/Sphinx or similar to existing discussions for GCC docs.
>  * Sphinx with themes can provide a lot of flexibility for display.
>  * Isolate wiki service from other services.

Will this be a separate Git repository, with different commit rules?

I do not particularly like the current MoinMoin wiki, but at least it
has a preview button.  We'd lose that with a pure Git-based workflow.

> * Website
>  * Provide a simple static site.
>  * Isolate web hosting from other services.

How do we keep the online manual up-to-date?

> * Meeting
>  * Already migrated away from proprietary solutions.
>  * Continue to use LF IT BBB instance for glibc meetings including weekly patch review.
>  * Isolate BBB from other services.

Ironically, with that move we lost support for open standards like SIP
dial-in.  I assume there is no plan to bring that back, as the SIP
situation with BBB isn't great.

Thanks,
Florian