Siddhesh Poyarekar via Libc-alpha writes: > We mentioned eventual dropping of libcrypt in the 2.28 NEWS. Actually > put that plan in motion by first disabling building libcrypt by default. > In the near future we need to drop it completely but ISTM that Gentoo > still uses it to fix some perl compatibility issues. Thanks. This is fine for us: we did the migration in two stages in Mid-to-late 2021. You are right that we've got a workaround for some Perl rebuild issues, but that should've been fixed on our end in the package manager last month, so no problem from us. Thank you for checking! > > +* libcrypt is no longer built by default, one may use the --enable-crypt > + option to build libcrypt. It is recommended that applications port > + away from the GNU C Library implementation of libcrypt since it will > + likely be removed in a future release. I feel like we ought to explicitly name libxcrypt as a possible provider - I don't really like relying on word of mouth for this. We don't need to endorse it/recommend it (although what's the alternative?), but I think mentioning it is worthwhile. (ditto for texi change.) > - --disable-crypt do not build nor install the passphrase hashing > - library, libcrypt > + --enable-crypt build and install the passphrase hashing library, > + libcrypt "build and install the deprecated ..." (legacy is fine too, if you like)