Hi Zack, On 12/29/22 17:35, Zack Weinberg wrote: > On Thu, 29 Dec 2022 05:47:06 -0500, Alejandro Colomar wrote: >> On 12/29/22 07:39, Zack Weinberg wrote: >>> To be clear, I personally don’t have plans to do any of the actual >>> programming or standard-changing work involved here. :-) >> >> Ah, no, I meant more that the whole set of glibc maintainers had that >> in mind, as a long term plan (like 10 years maybe?). > > Oh, OK. Yeah, changes to the standard can easily take that long. > >> Before you start writing patches, I'm considering the following, which >> is my way to say don't use these functions without deprecating them: >> >> Split FILE and char* functions into separate manual pages. In the one >> for [v]sscanf(3), I'd keep the current documentation. In the one for >> FILE functions, I'd keep it very short, defering to sscanf(3) for >> documentation of things like conversion specifiers, and that page >> would only cover the bugs^Wdifferences that apply only to FILE >> functions. > > That seems like a good way forward to me. I've done the splitting. If you would like to prepare any patches for adding BUGS, I'll take them :) Cheers, Alex > > zw --