* Sourceware and patchwork 2.0
@ 2020-03-13 14:15 Carlos O'Donell
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2020-03-13 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Siddhesh Poyarekar, GNU C Library

Siddhesh,

Sourceware is up and we can start in on patchwork 2.0 at this point.
The existing patchwork 1.0 is there, but because it's python2 it's not
wired up to the frontend yet (IIUC).

Would you be able to help get patchwork 2.0 running?

Cheers,
Carlos.

* Re: Sourceware and patchwork 2.0
@ 2020-03-13 14:51 ` Siddhesh Poyarekar
From: Siddhesh Poyarekar @ 2020-03-13 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos O'Donell, GNU C Library

[hides face in shame for having forgotten about it]

On 13/03/20 19:45, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> Sourceware is up and we can start in on patchwork 2.0 at this point.
> The existing patchwork 1.0 is there, but because it's python2 it's not
> wired up to the frontend yet (IIUC).
>
> Would you be able to help get patchwork 2.0 running?

Right now it looks like the instance is down.  A quick look suggests it
is probably something that will get fixed with a newish patchwork (1.0).
 I'll look at it tonight.  I was able to get it all the way up to 1.1 on
the OSCI server, so I'm optimistic about getting it at least that far.

Siddhesh

* Re: Sourceware and patchwork 2.0
@ 2020-03-13 23:02   ` Siddhesh Poyarekar
From: Siddhesh Poyarekar @ 2020-03-13 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos O'Donell, GNU C Library

On 13/03/20 20:21, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
> [hides face in shame for having forgotten about it]
>
> On 13/03/20 19:45, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>> Sourceware is up and we can start in on patchwork 2.0 at this point.
>> The existing patchwork 1.0 is there, but because it's python2 it's not
>> wired up to the frontend yet (IIUC).
>>
>> Would you be able to help get patchwork 2.0 running?
>
> Right now it looks like the instance is down.  A quick look suggests it
> is probably something that will get fixed with a newish patchwork (1.0).
>  I'll look at it tonight.  I was able to get it all the way up to 1.1 on
> the OSCI server, so I'm optimistic about getting it at least that far.

OK, so there's good news and bad news.  The bad news first:
patchwork.sourceware.org is still unavailable because patchwork is
barfing with an error that I haven't yet understood.

The good news though is that this is happening only through apache.
That is, when I run the patchwork instance locally (using manage.py),
the instance seems to work just fine.

Bonus: the even better news is that I've managed to upgrade django to
the 1.11.x branch, which seems to be supported for another month or so.
 It's still not recent enough for us to get to present day, but it's
quite a way forward.  I was able to migrate patchwork to 2.0 as well and
all the data is intact.

Almost.

For some reason all of the migration SQL scripts were failing to create
foreign key constraints.  I ended up with a migration that does not have
foreign key constraints, so no cascading deletes.  I don't know if it's
due to some setup issues or buggy scripts, it's probably the former.  In
any case, I'll have to fix up those foreign keys manually.  There aren't
too many, less than 20.

It's almost morning here (I got a bit carried away...), which means I
should get some sleep.  I'll try to find some time to hack at it again
tomorrow.

Siddhesh

* Re: Sourceware and patchwork 2.0
@ 2020-03-14  8:03     ` Siddhesh Poyarekar
From: Siddhesh Poyarekar @ 2020-03-14  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos O'Donell, GNU C Library

Update before I put things down for the day:

- The patchwork instance is now at 2.2.0-rc1
- I've created a virtualenv with django and other dependencies, at 2.2.8
  right now since that's what patchwork supports
- Overall situation is still the same: manage.py runserver works
  perfectly fine with all data intact.  apache modwsgi however doesn't.

The moment the last bit is resolved, we're good to go with patchwork
with all data conserved.  Patches since the last week or so will be
missing though since the server upgrade rendered the patchwork scripts
unusable.

Siddhesh

* Re: Sourceware and patchwork 2.0
@ 2020-03-18 13:39       ` Carlos O'Donell
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2020-03-18 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Siddhesh Poyarekar, GNU C Library

On 3/14/20 4:03 AM, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
> Update before I put things down for the day:
>
> - The patchwork instance is now at 2.2.0-rc1
> - I've created a virtualenv with django and other dependencies, at 2.2.8
>   right now since that's what patchwork supports
> - Overall situation is still the same: manage.py runserver works
>   perfectly fine with all data intact.  apache modwsgi however doesn't.
>
> The moment the last bit is resolved, we're good to go with patchwork
> with all data conserved.  Patches since the last week or so will be
> missing though since the server upgrade rendered the patchwork scripts
> unusable.

That is awesome news!

I dug into the the issue.

You can't use virtualenv 2.2.8. It doesn't support datetime.

And datetime is required for the wsgi code.

From a discussion with Frank it seems like you know this, and you're
setting up a newer virtualenv or giving up and doing something else.

I'll wait for you to update me with the latest status before I dig any
deeper.

--

@ 2020-03-18 13:46         ` Siddhesh Poyarekar
From: Siddhesh Poyarekar @ 2020-03-18 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos O'Donell, GNU C Library

On 18/03/20 19:09, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> On 3/14/20 4:03 AM, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
>> Update before I put things down for the day:
>>
>> - The patchwork instance is now at 2.2.0-rc1
>> - I've created a virtualenv with django and other dependencies, at 2.2.8
>>   right now since that's what patchwork supports
>> - Overall situation is still the same: manage.py runserver works
>>   perfectly fine with all data intact.  apache modwsgi however doesn't.
>>
>> The moment the last bit is resolved, we're good to go with patchwork
>> with all data conserved.  Patches since the last week or so will be
>> missing though since the server upgrade rendered the patchwork scripts
>> unusable.
>
> That is awesome news!
>
> I dug into the the issue.
>
> You can't use virtualenv 2.2.8. It doesn't support datetime.
>
> And datetime is required for the wsgi code.
>
> From a discussion with Frank it seems like you know this, and you're
> setting up a newer virtualenv or giving up and doing something else.
>
> I'll wait for you to update me with the latest status before I dig any
> deeper.

I don't know what specifically is wrong, just that the paths are messed
up and I didn't look at it since.  If you have time to look into it then
please do; I don't see myself getting around to this until the end of
the week.

Thanks!
Siddhesh