* [ Guidance ] Preparing for Contribution
@ 2019-12-26 17:04 JeanHeyd Meneide
From: JeanHeyd Meneide @ 2019-12-26 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-alpha

Dear glibc Maintainers and Contributors,

     I hope this e-mail finds you doing well this Holiday Season! I am
interested in developing a few fast routines for text encoding for
musl after the positive reception of a paper for the C Standard
related to fast conversion routines:

     https://thephd.github.io/vendor/future_cxx/papers/source/C%20-%20Efficient%20Character%20Conversions.html

     I would like to make sure I can contribute to glibc
appropriately. I have Copyright Assigned myself to the Free Software
Foundation and I do contribute occasionally to libstdc++; is there
anything else I would need to make sure I can submit patches for
review to glibc?

Best Wishes and Happy Holidays,
JeanHeyd Meneide

* Re: [ Guidance ] Preparing for Contribution
@ 2019-12-27  8:25 ` JeanHeyd Meneide
From: JeanHeyd Meneide @ 2019-12-27  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-alpha

On Thu, Dec 26, 2019 at 12:04 PM JeanHeyd Meneide
<phdofthehouse@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear glibc Maintainers and Contributors,
>      ... I am
> interested in developing a few fast routines for text encoding for
> musl ...

Oops: glibc* -- I am interested in developing a few fast routines for
text encoding for glibc.

(I am going to be working on contributing to both libraries, but I was
reading and writing e-mails to both mailing lists. Sorry if that
caused confusion!)

Sincerely,

@ 2019-12-27 12:00   ` Carlos O'Donell
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2019-12-27 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: JeanHeyd Meneide; +Cc: GNU C Library

On Fri, Dec 27, 2019 at 3:32 AM JeanHeyd Meneide
<phdofthehouse@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 26, 2019 at 12:04 PM JeanHeyd Meneide
> <phdofthehouse@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Dear glibc Maintainers and Contributors,
> >      ... I am
> > interested in developing a few fast routines for text encoding for
> > musl ...
>
> Oops: glibc* -- I am interested in developing a few fast routines for
> text encoding for glibc.

No worries! I read it like you intended it; that you wished to
contribute to glibc and musl.

You need to follow the same process you did for contributions to gcc,
but for glibc.

The simplest "next step" is to do a futures assignment for glibc:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnulib.git/plain/doc/Copyright/request-assign.future

Once you have an assignment in place for glibc we can start looking at
your patches.

My only suggestion would be that it may be beneficial to get an
assignment in place for binutils and gdb in the event you need to do
any work there.

You can see the specific part of the glibc contribution checklist:
https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Contribution%20checklist#FSF_copyright_Assignment

You can see the whole contribution checklist here:
https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Contribution%20checklist

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
Carlos.

* Re: [ Guidance ] Preparing for Contribution
@ 2020-01-08 14:35 ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2020-01-08 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: JeanHeyd Meneide; +Cc: libc-alpha

* JeanHeyd Meneide:

> Dear glibc Maintainers and Contributors,
>
>      I hope this e-mail finds you doing well this Holiday Season! I am
> interested in developing a few fast routines for text encoding for
> musl after the positive reception of a paper for the C Standard
> related to fast conversion routines:
>
>      https://thephd.github.io/vendor/future_cxx/papers/source/C%20-%20Efficient%20Character%20Conversions.html
>
>      I would like to make sure I can contribute to glibc
> appropriately. I have Copyright Assigned myself to the Free Software
> Foundation and I do contribute occasionally to libstdc++; is there
> anything else I would need to make sure I can submit patches for
> review to glibc?

I've already posted a comment on the parallel thread on the musl list:

  <https://www.openwall.com/lists/musl/2019/12/25/5>

I think they apply even more so to glibc because we support locales with
those fake shift states for character buffering.

Thanks,
Florian