On Thu, 22 Sept 2022 at 04:50, Joseph Myers wrote: > * The oldest kernel version supported on > https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html (currently 4.9) being new > enough for the change to allow significant cleanups in glibc. > I don't know how seriously you are suggesting moving the baseline to 4.9 or on what timeframe, but we (Canonical) still have Ubuntu 14.04 (kernel 3.13) in extended support until 2024 and 16.04 (kernel 4.4) until 2026 and we would like these users to be able to use newer distributions in containers (I don't know RHEL's policies, but by my reading RHEL7, based on kernel 3.10, is in a similar kind of extended support until 2026). So I don't want to hold up progress to a new and better world too much... but also there is a reason to move slowly here. Cheers, mwh