On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 5:17 AM, Florian Weimer wrote: > > I'm leaning towards a clean break: Stop installing . Remove all > symbols related to external vtable support (i.e., an ABI break, so that > affected programs fail in a clean manner). Do this now, and revisit it for > glibc 2.27 if someone actually has an application that breaks due to this. If you pull branch zack/no-libio-h you will get a libc that does not install libio.h. I didn't convert any of the currently-exposed _IO_ symbols into compat symbols, and I strongly suspect that I broke support for the old (GLIBC_2.0) FILE object, but this should be good enough to do archive rebuilds against. For convenience, the changes are attached. However, the branch is built on top of a bunch of my other header cleanup work (_ISOMAC testsuite and several bits/types/ conversions) so do not expect the attached patch to apply to trunk. zw