* libc.so.6: CPU ISA level is lower than required
@ 2021-02-03 19:50 Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2021-02-03 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU C Library

Hi All

In Yocto we use -march=core2 to compile glibc and rest of system for
x86_64 and after upgrading to 2.33, we are seeing an error

/lib/libc.so.6: CPU ISA level is lower than required

when executing the binaries on qemu with -cpu core2duo option, this
works out ok If I use
-cpu Nehalem or newer.

I know ldso in 2.33 has got new hwcaps features to check the x86 ISA
and perhaps thats causing it
but I am trying to find why would it reject -cpu core2duo from qemu
when we also ensured
that -march and -mtune values stay at core2 when compiling glibc and
rest of system.

I was looking at

https://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=commit;h=ecce11aa0752735c4fd730da6e7c9e0b98e12fb8

since that seems to be the cause and checking if there was some option
to configure it out.
I wonder if there is minimal ISA default now which is newer than core2 perhaps ?

I am looking for some help on how can we get to this point and what is
the right way forward.

Thanks
-Khem

* Re: libc.so.6: CPU ISA level is lower than required
@ 2021-02-03 21:32 ` H.J. Lu
From: H.J. Lu @ 2021-02-03 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: GNU C Library

https://sourceware.org/pipermail/libc-alpha/2021-February/122297.html