On 03 Sep 2021 12:37, Florian Weimer via Libc-alpha wrote: > The localedata files currently contain this: > > % This file is part of the GNU C Library and contains locale data. > % The Free Software Foundation does not claim any copyright interest > % in the locale data contained in this file. The foregoing does not > % affect the license of the GNU C Library as a whole. It does not > % exempt you from the conditions of the license if your use would > % otherwise be governed by that license. > > I think the wording is less than satisfying because it's unclear whether > the patch submitter (or someone else) retains any copyright claims to > the file. With localedata patches submitted under the DCO, this becomes > even more confusing. > > Therefore, I proposed to > > comment_char % > escape_char / > > % Copyright The GNU Toolchain Authors. > % This file is part of the GNU C Library. > % > % The GNU C Library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or > % modify it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public > % License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either > % version 2.1 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. > % > % The GNU C Library is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, > % but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of > % MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU > % Lesser General Public License for more details. > % > % You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public > % License along with the GNU C Library; if not, see > % . > > > The main reason is to keep the contribution process simple. For > example, we do not need to argue with the submitter whether they > actually can disclaim copyright or database protection rights. > > Since the FSF disclaims copyright, we can also apply this header to > mixed FSF/DCO files once the need arises. imo this is going in the wrong direction if we want to enforce it, we can add a test to check the header of the file. if a contributor doesn't agree, then we don't accept their patch. i don't see why we need to bend over backwards for this. -mike