Hi Xi, On 2/6/23 07:02, Xi Ruoyao wrote: > On Sun, 2023-02-05 at 16:31 +0100, Alejandro Colomar via Libc-alpha wrote: > >> The only correct way to use  different  types  in  an  API  is >> through  a  union. > > I don't think this statement is true (in general). Technically we can > write something like this: > > struct sockaddr { ... }; > struct sockaddr_in { ... }; > struct sockaddr_in6 { ... }; > > int bind(int fd, const struct sockaddr *addr, socklen_t addrlen) > { > if (addrlen < sizeof(struct sockaddr) { > errno = EINVAL; > return -1; > } > > /* cannot use "addr->sa_family" directly: it will be an UB */ > sa_family_t sa_family; > memcpy(&sa_family, addr, sizeof(sa_family)); > > switch (sa_family) { > case AF_INET: > return _do_bind_in(fd, (struct sockaddr_in *)addr, addrlen); > case AF_INET6: > return _do_bind_in6(fd, (struct sockaddr_in6 *)addr, addrlen); > /* more cases follow here */ > default: > errno = EINVAL; > return -1; > } > } > } > > In this way we can use sockaddr_{in,in6,...} for bind() safely, as long > as we can distinguish the "real" type of addr using the leading byte > sequence (and the caller uses it carefully). True; I hadn't thought of memcpy()ing the first member of the struct. That's valid; overcomplicated but valid. > > But obviously sockaddr_storage can't be distinguished here, so casting a > struct sockaddr_stroage * to struct sockaddr * and passing it to bind() > will still be wrong (unless we make sockaddr_storage an union or add > [[gnu::may_alias]]). But as you say, it still leaves us with a question. What should one declare for passing to the standard APIs? It can only be a union. So we can either tell users to each create their own union, or we can make sockaddr_storage be a union. The latter slightly violates POSIX due to namespaces as Rich noted, but that's a minor violation, and POSIX can be changed to accomodate for that. If we change sockaddr_storage to be a union, we have two benefits: - Old code which uses sockaddr_storage is made conforming (non-UB) without modifying the source. - Users can inspect the structures. If we don't, and deprecate sockaddr_storage, we should tell users to declare their own unions _and_ treat all these structures as black boxes which can only be read by memcpy()ing their contents. Which of the two do we want? I think fixing sockaddr_storage is simpler, and allows existing practice of reading these structures. The other one just makes (or rather acknowledges, since it has always been like that) a lot of existing code invoke UB, and acknowledges that you can't safely use these structures without a lot of workarounding. Cheers, Alex -- GPG key fingerprint: A9348594CE31283A826FBDD8D57633D441E25BB5